Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:39 PM
Turbo13 Offline

Deleted lib files - no display

Hello, I was trying to strip out some files from my Fedora Core 10 installation I didn't think I needed using Add and Remove Software. In particular I was removing what I thought were Development Library files. But, it turns out (seeing the errors in boot.log) that they were needed for, Cups, Hal,SSHd and RPM (libdbus-1.so.3 in particular). They may also be needed other programs. Now I can't get a display in run mode 3 or 5. I have not tried other run modes (I get prefdm errors in run mode 5 and tty errors in run mode 3). I am able to boot into the system using the Fedora 10 install CD in repair mode. And I am able to use Lynx to download files. I downloaded dbus-libs-1.2.4-2.fc10.i386.rpm. But, I found that rpm needed lib files in that file (librpmbuild-4.6.so in particular). So I have three questions:

1) Am I on the right track to repair my system?
2) If I am where can I get this file "dbus-libs-1.2.4-2.fc10.i386" as a ".gzip" or other format file?
3) Is there another way I can restore my system? I have tried using the update mode on the install cd on another system before and lost
all of my configuration and personal files. I may have done something wrong (noob).

Unfortunately I have no backups. But, the system seems intact it just wont boot. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Turbo13; 4th February 2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: To make post clearer. So maybe someone will have enough information to help me.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:54 AM
stoat Offline

Hello Turbo13,

If you used yum to delete those files, then examine the file /var/log/yum.log. It will have recorded every file that got deleted. Do that by any means possible (runlevel 3 and the command prompt, the LiveCD, linux rescue, etc.). Then re-install every one of them with yum from the command line. You can even yum install from the LiveCD by using the --installroot=[directory] yum command line option. Anyway, the thing is busted now so it shouldn't make it any worse to try.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:01 AM
darrelltwo Offline

It would probably be even quicker to put your FC10 disk back in and do a reinstall as an "upgrade" to your existing system" from the installation menu. When it completes, you should find most things the way you left it, even your desktop background, except that your Compiz settings and desktop effects will have to be re-enabled. Don't forget to run yum update after it completes before you try to open any programs so that everything is patched back up to snuff.

That's the 35-40 minute solution with a decent internet connection.... This even repairs WINE software you may have installed.
Old 4th February 2009, 01:30 AM
Turbo13 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
Hello Turbo13,

If you used yum to delete those files, then examine the file /var/log/yum.log. It will have recorded every file that got deleted. Do that by any means possible (runlevel 3 and the command prompt, the LiveCD, linux rescue, etc.). Then re-install every one of them with yum from the command line. You can even yum install from the LiveCD by using the --installroot=[directory] yum command line option. Anyway, the thing is busted now so it shouldn't make it any worse to try.
Stoat, thanks for the reply. Yes I did use YUM to delete the files (with Add and Remove Software). And, I looked at yum.log. I appears that I deleted a huge number of programs. Unfortunately YUM was one of them. It seems that when I deleted the library files many other programs/services got deleted with them. I think I will try the LiveCD method you suggested. Do you think that would be safer than doing an update with the Fedora 10 install CD?
Old 4th February 2009, 01:58 AM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo13

Do you think that would be safer than doing an update with the Fedora 10 install CD?
That I don't know.

BTW, you can re-install anything (including yum) to the busted system using the LiveCD's yum and that --installroot= option provided the LiveCD has an Internet connection. I have done it. But here's the thing. If your busted system is in an LVM physical volume, then you will have to teach yourself how to mount that. I use only standard ext3 partitions and have no interest in LVM or anything related to it. But it won't take long to learn that aspect of this.

Here is an example of using the LiveCD's yum with the --installroot= command line option when the busted system is in an ordinary ext3 partition. It's just an example of the concept to help you decide if you want to do it. While running the LiveCD and connected to the Internet...
Code:
mkdir /mnt/temp
mount /dev/sdxy /mnt/temp
yum --installroot=/mnt/temp install [package] [package] [package]...
Of course, /dev/sdxy represents my ext3 root partition. For an LVM PV, you would substitute the steps to mount that.

Last edited by stoat; 4th February 2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:41 AM
Turbo13 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
That I don't know.

BTW, you can re-install anything (including yum) to the busted system using the LiveCD's yum and that --installroot= option provided the LiveCD has an Internet connection. I have done it. But here's the thing. If your busted system is in an LVM physical volume, then you will have to teach yourself how to mount that. I use only standard ext3 partitions and have no interest in LVM or anything related to it. But it won't take long to learn that aspect of this.
Thanks again Stoat. Unfortunately, my system is installed on an LVM volume. And, I know nothing about LVM. I don't remember choosing LVM when I installed FC10. I guess it was the default. I guess I will try to learn how to mount an LVM volume.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:04 AM
Turbo13 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelltwo View Post
It would probably be even quicker to put your FC10 disk back in and do a reinstall as an "upgrade" to your existing system" from the installation menu. When it completes, you should find most things the way you left it, even your desktop background, except that your Compiz settings and desktop effects will have to be re-enabled. Don't forget to run yum update after it completes before you try to open any programs so that everything is patched back up to snuff.

That's the 35-40 minute solution with a decent internet connection.... This even repairs WINE software you may have installed.
I tried to "upgrade" my system using the FC10 installation CD but got the following error:

Duplicate Labels
Multiple devices on your system are labeled c9202a14-b766-45be-8ddb-06fdaa4c8f77. Labels accross devices must be unique for your system to function properly.

Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I can't understand how this could happen. As I said some library files were uninstalled from the system through Add and Remove Software. But, how could multiple devices on my system have the same label. As I said I am able to boot into the system using the restore function on the FC10 installation CD. And I can log into ROOT using that method. I would like to reinstall the missing library files but YUM is not working because of the missing files. RPM is also not working for the same reason. Is there a way that I can get my system back to the point where I can reinstall YUM? Is it necessary to download the Live CD and mount the LVM formated drive (My system drive) creating a new ROOT folder in order to reinstall YUM? And if it is necessary will the problem with duplicate labels cause further problems? Also, if this is the only way to fix this problem can anyone give me more details on how to do it? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:05 AM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo13

I guess I will try to learn how to mount an LVM volume.
How do you mount an LVM partition with a liveCD?

But you know, it's starting to get a little complicated. I guess this system has some special value to warrant the effort. Right? I re-read the first post and saw why you passed up darrelltwo's suggestion in post #3. Well anyway, all I can say is the idea of using the LiveCD's yum to install packages in a system on the hard drive is something I have personally done more than once. I hope it does something for you, or maybe somebody will come along with a better idea.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:28 AM
Turbo13 Offline

Yes, I have invested a huge amount of time on this system. Although it may seem trivial it is a game server. I have tweaked it to run four different steam games. There was much trial and error to get these running right. I had also ran Bastille-Linux to harden the system, installed psad and tripwire. Tweaking their configuration as well as the ssh daemon. I had also installed and configured dynamic IP update software. But, given the present situation I would be happy to get the game folders off the drive intact along with the various configuration files that I mentioned. I do appreciate your input. looking at the instructions on how to mount an LVM drive using the LiveCD you posted does not seem too complicated. I just worry about the duplicate label problem that I posted about. I wish I knew what that was about. I guess the next thing to do is download the Live CD. Thanks again.

Tags
turbo