Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st February 2009, 03:55 AM
vbdanl Offline

Random lock ups in FC 10

Hi. I have triple boot pc (xp, ubuntu, and fedora), installed in that order. xp and ubuntu seem to be stable. i have had to pull the power cord 3 or 4 times while booted in fedora. i noticed the last 2 times i can still move the mouse around, but can't get it to open anything. the keyboard is locked up, can't alt-f1 or f2 or anything to get console. can't get it to do anything, other than watch the mouse tail move around (weird).
i installed a new power supply (and at least i now have a power switch - the old one never had one), but that didn't fix the lock up problem.
i haven't ran yum update since the fc10 live cd gnome install. was planning on doing that later.. not sure how long it will stay up to download all the 300 or so updates.
right now the only thing open is a terminal (can't type in it)..
what should i look at to fix this lock up problem? thanks.
Old 1st February 2009, 04:25 AM
pankajp Offline

This is a very common problem in F10 caused by compiz fusion. You can verify if its the same in your case by disabling compiz if you have it enabled. I think you may find many more similar problem in the forums. People have reported that ssh works during the lockup so if u have remote access you can kill the process and resume your work. Anyway i don't have remote access so all i did was to disable compiz and now everything is alright.
Old 1st February 2009, 06:35 AM
vbdanl Offline

do i just yum list compiz* to find out if i have it installed? i don't know anything about it, and did not install it unless it just auto installs with fc10.
Old 1st February 2009, 04:11 PM
pankajp Offline

Code:
rpm -q compiz
will tell you if you have compiz installed. Though if you dont have it installed i'm not sure what the problem may be
Old 1st February 2009, 04:47 PM
vbdanl Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajp View Post
Code:
rpm -q compiz
will tell you if you have compiz installed. Though if you dont have it installed i'm not sure what the problem may be
hi. thanks for your replies. here is where i am now..
ran yum list compiz* and saw there were 4 installed packages related to compiz.
removed them with yum remove compiz*
copied xorg.conf (there wasn't one) from ubuntu to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rebooted. system seemed fairly stable. the package handler said i had a lot of packages that needed updating, so i ran it. ran for an hour or so, and surprisingly stayed up through all of it. i was surprised it never told me i needed to reboot. i ran uname -a and saw i was still on the old version, so i rebooted.
now the new problem..
it boots the new release 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 but i don't get a login screen.
i see the splash screen and it gets to where you think the login screen is going to appear, but all i get is a black screen and blinking cursor. i rebooted with c-a-d. same thing. found i can alt-f2 and login on a xterm or whatever you call it. it is at runlevel 5. alt-f8 just gives a black screen with flashing cursor.
what now?
Old 1st February 2009, 06:14 PM
vbdanl Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdanl View Post
hi. thanks for your replies. here is where i am now..
ran yum list compiz* and saw there were 4 installed packages related to compiz.
removed them with yum remove compiz*
copied xorg.conf (there wasn't one) from ubuntu to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rebooted. system seemed fairly stable. the package handler said i had a lot of packages that needed updating, so i ran it. ran for an hour or so, and surprisingly stayed up through all of it. i was surprised it never told me i needed to reboot. i ran uname -a and saw i was still on the old version, so i rebooted.
now the new problem..
it boots the new release 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686 but i don't get a login screen.
i see the splash screen and it gets to where you think the login screen is going to appear, but all i get is a black screen and blinking cursor. i rebooted with c-a-d. same thing. found i can alt-f2 and login on a xterm or whatever you call it. it is at runlevel 5. alt-f8 just gives a black screen with flashing cursor.
what now?
not only did the new kernel not give me a login screen, now the old kernel does the same thing - black screen, no login screen. i found a post that suggested changing fglrx to vesa in the xorg.conf. did that, and now get the login screen... the resolution is now 800x600 instead of 1024x768. looked at monitor resolution settings and it says "Unknown" monitor.
following this post i am not sure what to do now.. i ran rpm -qa for kmod-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx and neither appears to be present. also checked my radeon Xpress 200 driver against the list in Leigh's post and it doesn't show up, so i don't think i am supposed to use those instructions..
any ideas what i should do to get the screen resolution working correctly?
Old 1st February 2009, 09:12 PM
vbdanl Offline

i updated several modes lines in the xorg.conf adding 1024x768 and other settings and was able to get it to now display as that. there is probably something with fglrx that needs to be fixed and installed, but guess i can wait on that. this could be listed as solved. thanks.

Tags
lock, random, ups