Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th January 2009, 08:44 AM
flyingpengwin Offline

(mini-wm:1462): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1

I'm trying to install Fedora10 on my new desktop. It has Windows 7 beta on it and Vista. It starts up fine and I select install. For some reason my wired usb keyboard will not respond unless I press the caps lock button while it loads the begging. (I don't know if another button will work, ive only used the caps button since i can see the light come on) once it loads i skip the disk check and anaconda runs, i get the warning (mini-wm:1462): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1 . I'm not completely new but still learning at both linux and fedora any support will help.
Old 27th January 2009, 07:21 PM
flyingpengwin Offline

Solution found

I thought I would follow up and tell everyone what was going on with my machine in case anyone ever has this issue. The computer i was trying to install on was some parts new and some parts old. The 2 old things and the 2 things causing issues was the DVD drive and the Keyboard. The dvd drive was so old all it could do was read dvds not write them (probably about 9 years old) this caused problems because it could not read the dvd very fast and was causing loading to be very slow. The issue with the keyboard not working is the same thing. The keyboard came from a compaq bought in 2000. Even when booting up after installion the keyboard does not seem to be supported by fedora. It works at the beginning and i can choose which OS to load but once fedora starts to load the keyboard no longer works. I have yet to try the caps lock trick to see if during the initial loading pressing it will allow it to work like it did in the installation.
Yesterday I bought a new and fast dvd drive, which after I replaced the very old drive with the new one i did not get the (mini-wm:1462): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1 during installation but i did have to install in text mode. So what i did was before entering the installation process i added "xdriver=vesa" which after doing that i was able to install perfectly using the GUI.
This is exactly what i did to succesfully install Fedora 10 on my Desktop (using an ASUS motherboard and AMD processor). I hope that I have fully explained my solution so that anyone else getting this error will be able to successfully install F10 with out any questions.

Tags
display, gtkwarning, miniwm1462, open