Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:39 AM
P4rD0nM3 Offline

Talking PARENTAL CONTROL: Keeping ‘them’ safe.

For the concerned parents out there. HELP A BROTHA OUT.

Do any of you guys and gals know of any free parental controls for GNU/Linux in general? It doesn't have to be a FireFox extension/plug-in.

I'm already using OpenDNS.

Thank you.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:43 AM
leigh123linux

Try autoten , it includes Dan's guardian .

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171660
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:03 AM
Nokia Offline

Use OpenDNS. Get an account and learn how to use it.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:59 AM
P4rD0nM3 Offline

Nokia, I'm already using OpenDNS. I'm just looking for a second option.

You sounded like you just told me to RTFM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:03 AM
Wayne

Please guys, keep it friendly, thanks.

Wayne
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:04 AM
Nokia Offline

What would be a second option when you control the DNS resolution ? I was not suggesting simple use of the nameservers, but advanced tweaking done from the account menus.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:13 AM
P4rD0nM3 Offline

I don't know. Like maybe an app? I'm already using the content filtering of OpenDNS and I have already set it up so it updates my IP whenever it changes. Like I said I'm looking for other options if there are any. What's wrong with looking for other options?
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:19 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
http://dansguardian.org/
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Secur...ol-24501.shtml

If those are not sufficient, 'parental controls linux' gives quite a few 'hits' (681,000)
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:24 AM
P4rD0nM3 Offline

Ooh thanks. That dansguardian looks nice, you can customize the actual message that pops up. I think I'll go with that one.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:04 AM
bee Offline
Banned

I'd better to don't comment about parental control stuffs .... but how old are your children, P4rD0nM3??

bye!!!!!
Old 24th January 2009, 01:51 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

I'm a strong advocate of Untangle, which I use myself. It's won several awards.

It's free and open source, including updates and upgrades, but you need to supply your own hardware - something cheap and second-hand of eBay will do fine. Untangle includes WebFilter, a free filtering component, amongst a dozen or so security apps. It's relatively easy to setup up and run, and once it's up and running, you can just leave it - all the updates and upgrades happen in the background without need for you to intervene. The WebFilter is updated daily.

If you really want, you can add proprietary add-ons to Untangle, such as an eSoft-based filter, but personally I think that's overkill.

HTH.
Old 24th January 2009, 02:23 PM
bee Offline
Banned

honey bee bob!!! i'm sure you took the first random link!!!!!!!!! and as usual it's the wrong link!! that software is for our competitors!! because it's for ubuntu only!!! (not for fedora or GNU/Linux in general )

Some pieces of its source code told me it:
Quote:
then zenity --info --title "Ubuntu Parental Control setup" --text $"This will install and configure a basic parental control feature for Ubuntu" && gksudo -t "Ubuntu Parental Contro setup" ./.setup;
there are no gksudo in fedora , but it could be replaced with a call to beesu!!!!!
Quote:
function update {
zenity --info --title "Ubuntu Parental Control setup" --text $"Now i will update your apt repositories.\nPlease check your internet connection before proceeding"
apt-get update | zenity --progress --pulsate --auto-close --title "Ubuntu Parental Contro setup" --text $"Updating repositories"
}
function download {
zenity --info --title "Ubuntu Parental Control setup" --text $"Now i will download dansguardian, firehol and tinyproxy form Ubuntu repositories"
aptitude -y install dansguardian firehol tinyproxy
apt-get -y -f install
}
function download_gui {
zenity --info --title "Ubuntu Parental Control setup" --text $"Now i will download gambas and the qt libs for the GUI"
aptitude -y install gambas libqt3-mt
apt-get -y -f install
}
Those calls to apt get and the text Ubuntu show that script won't run in fedora. The config files it will go to edit are for ubuntu!!!

What is really so odd, is that in the description of that software you read:
Quote:
The project is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.

Ubuntu Christian Edition is a free, open source operating system geared towards Christians.

The goal of Ubuntu Christian Edition is to bring the power and security of Ubuntu to Christians. Ubuntu Christian Edition is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu Christian Edition release supports PC (Intel x86).

Ubuntu Christian Edition includes more than 16,000 pieces of software, but the core desktop installation fits on a single CD. Ubuntu Christian Edition covers every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to web server software and programming tools.

Along with the standard Ubuntu applications, Ubuntu Christian Edition includes the best available Christian software. The latest release contains GnomeSword, a top of the line Bible study program for Linux based on the Sword Project. There are several modules installed with GnomeSword including Bibles, Commentaries, and Dictionaries.

Ubuntu Christian Edition also includes fully integrated web content parental controls powered by Dansguardian. A graphical tool to adjust the parental control settings has also been developed specifically for Ubuntu Christian Edition. These features are truly what sets Ubuntu Christian Edition apart.

This is a script for those who do not wish to use Ubuntu CE but would like to use the web content filtering that is available in Ubuntu CE and a script that will install the Dansguardian GUI to an Ubuntu system that is already using Dansguadian.
So it's not even Ubuntu, but something of ubuntu-religious!!!

as luck would have it ..... honey bob!!! you took the first random link, and it's of one holy distro ahah lol j/k

bye!!!!!!
Old 24th January 2009, 02:38 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
honey bee bob!!! i'm sure you took the first random link!!!!!!!!! and as usual it's the wrong link!! that software is for our competitors!! because it's for ubuntu only!!! (not for fedora or GNU/Linux in general )

Some pieces of its source code told me it:
there are no gksudo in fedora , but it could be replaced with a call to beesu!!!!!
Those calls to apt get and the text Ubuntu show that script won't run in fedora. The config files it will go to edit are for ubuntu!!!

What is really so odd, is that in the description of that software you read:So it's not even Ubuntu, but something of ubuntu-religious!!!

as luck would have it ..... honey bob!!! you took the first random link, and it's of one holy distro ahah lol j/k

bye!!!!!!
A good distrubution, I ran it several years ago on my son's computer. At the time it was the easiest way to get dansguardian already integrated into a distro and I wanted to use Ubuntu anyway because of the sudo setup. You do not have to worry Bee the distro does not pray for you, though I do!!! It does have a neat desktop gadget that displays a verse of the day though, in any translation you would like. I am a KJV man myself.
Old 24th January 2009, 02:40 PM
TestLED Offline

I know I'm thick but how do you start a new thread....I'm haveing wireless issues mand need some help.
Old 24th January 2009, 02:40 PM
Nokia Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Bert View Post
I'm a strong advocate of Untangle, which I use myself. It's won several awards.

It's free and open source, including updates and upgrades, but you need to supply your own hardware - something cheap and second-hand of eBay will do fine. Untangle includes WebFilter, a free filtering component, amongst a dozen or so security apps. It's relatively easy to setup up and run, and once it's up and running, you can just leave it - all the updates and upgrades happen in the background without need for you to intervene. The WebFilter is updated daily.

If you really want, you can add proprietary add-ons to Untangle, such as an eSoft-based filter, but personally I think that's overkill.

HTH.
Thanks. Didn't knew about this one.

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager
Closed Thread