Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:05 AM
Clean Mind Offline

Rolled back from Ubuntu and Linux Mint

That doesn't mean they are bad systems; they have their merits, too.
But there are definite edges in Fedora:
1)Scim is easier to handle.
2)More backgrounds/wallpapers by default.
3)More choices of environments. (I switch between XFCE and Gnome.)
KDE and XFDE looks too much like Windows--no character.
By the way, what is SUGAR exactly for?
4)Annoying when it comes to updating Open Office.
5)Flickering every now and than.
6)A more understandable software list. (Actually I use both Yum extender and Packagekit.)
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:50 PM
ryptyde Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean Mind View Post
6)A more understandable software list. (Actually I use both Yum extender and Packagekit.)
Sugar is the desktop environment for the XO laptop that is being distributed by the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) program.
Old 23rd January 2009, 12:44 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean Mind View Post
1. No comment
2. Are you kidding? I thought everyone used their own wallpaper anyway?
3. Huh? Linux is Linux! You can run any environment in any Linux. I just ditched my temp Gnome Mint install for the fresh Mint Xfce CE and it rocks! I will have fluxbox and e17 on this lappy by the end of the night.
4. I just updated OO.o from the 2 whatever version to a new 3.0 version simply by enabling the included repo.
5. Dont know what the problem is there, but Linux is Linux.
6. Again, huh? Yumex over synaptic? I wont even comment on packagekit. But, each to their own I guess, I used yumex for years and love it. It is a great package manager. Better than synaptic? No.

I am sorry, I just had to respond. I left Fedora for Mint and using Mint 6 Gnome almost drove me back to Fedora. But Mint 6 Xfce CE is just right. As right as I have ever seen a Linux distro! I am finally home and I am happy.

If Fedora makes you feel this way then heck yeah! You should be using it. I do not mean my post to argue your decision, just maybe a few of your points. I wont compare Mint to Fedora. They are different, and they both have great qualities. You see the winning points going to Fedora, I see them definitely going to Mint. I am sure there are probably a few Ubuntu dorks out there who think their distro is the best (though I sure dont see it). Hey, whatever makes you happy, yaknow?
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:30 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

As for the Linux is Linux---yes and no. (To take a firm stance.)

It is, but, differences in kernels versions, customization of the kernel (for example, JN4 REALLY likes the Mint custom kernel, which removes his wireless driver) <snicker>, different package versions--not meaning deb vs rpm, but say, one using version-x and the other using version-y, so despite the truth of Linux being Linux, in many cases one distribution will work with your hardware while another won't. Other times, there's no real obvious reason such as package or kernel, it will be something more subtle that may or may not be discoverable by someone with the knowledge of the kernel internals and such.
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:44 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
As for the Linux is Linux---yes and no. (To take a firm stance.)

It is, but, differences in kernels versions, customization of the kernel (for example, JN4 REALLY likes the Mint custom kernel, which removes his wireless driver) <snicker>, different package versions--not meaning deb vs rpm, but say, one using version-x and the other using version-y, so despite the truth of Linux being Linux, in many cases one distribution will work with your hardware while another won't. Other times, there's no real obvious reason such as package or kernel, it will be something more subtle that may or may not be discoverable by someone with the knowledge of the kernel internals and such.
linux-backport-module-intrepid works just fine. Better that than not being able to log in as root!
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:47 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool View Post
linux-backport-module-intrepid works just fine. Better that than not being able to log in as root!
IMO only butt heads login as root

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...9&postcount=21
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:51 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
Guess I cant argue with that, I actually dont even have a root account. Real men use sudo!
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:55 AM
Demz

locking someone out of root just because the devs dont like the idea is like being a Bill Gates.. lets control the users computer. IMO there should be an Option to allow root access an dissalow it

Last edited by Demz; 23rd January 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:04 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool View Post
Guess I cant argue with that, I actually dont even have a root account. Real men use sudo!
I only use sudo for scripts , as for root login, I haven't used it for years and didn't realize it had been disabled till I saw the complaints on the forum.
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:07 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
I only use sudo for scripts , as for root login, I haven't used it for years and didn't realize it had been disabled till I saw the complaints on the forum.
you mean you dont read the devel list since you use rawhide?
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:03 AM
scottro Offline

I don't use gdm so I wasn't aware of it either. Regardless, I see the point Demz and Sean are making, it's not that it's a bad idea per se, it's the enforcing of it that aggravates.

Anyway, I see that JN4 no longer starts getting mad when I bring up that module, so it's no fun anymore. :-( Sigh.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:16 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I don't use gdm so I wasn't aware of it either. Regardless, I see the point Demz and Sean are making, it's not that it's a bad idea per se, it's the enforcing of it that aggravates.

Anyway, I see that JN4 no longer starts getting mad when I bring up that module, so it's no fun anymore. :-( Sigh.
No, the wireless was easy this time. I am now fighting compiz though. Did y'all here Shane Lee, creator and maintainer of the Shame repo, died?

http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=11

This leaves a gaping hole in the deb compiz scene. Guess those of us wanting to stay fairly modern will have to build it ourselves.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:28 AM
Demz

he wasnt that old either

you could always come back to Fedora an use leighs compiz Sean
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:33 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
he wasnt that old either

you could always come back to Fedora an use leighs compiz Sean
Yeah Greg, I could. F10 was great when I tried it, shoot, F9 worked well for me for the first few months. It isnt like I hate Fedora or anything, I could be very happy if I was forced to use Fedora. But I just like Mint. It is just cleaner, simpler. Yes, it is not near as cutting edge but as I am getting older I find I dont much care about that anymore. I just want it to work and stay working.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:54 AM
scottro Offline

Yeah, I know that feeling.
I've never really been into the fancy graphics--it's the sort of thing that I like for a few minutes, then get bored. Either that or sour grapes that my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

For example, I thought that fluxbox with completely transparent, borderless windows, was nice--but after a little while I found I was getting headaches trying to read the text. Oh well.