Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 22nd January 2009, 09:43 AM
php1ic Offline

Will current development packages "break" old versions of fedora?

Hello,

My laptop is currently running fedora 6 (It's not technically mine, I got it from work so cannot simply upgrade), and I use thunderbird to check my e-mails.

If I want to upgrade thunderbird past 1.5.0.12 I have to enable the development repository in yum which outputs the following:

Code:
$sudo yum --enablerepo=development update thunderbird
Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
Updating:
 thunderbird             i386       2.0.0.18-2.fc11  development        23 M
Updating for dependencies:
 glib2                   i386       2.19.4-1.fc11    development       1.4 M
 glib2-devel             i386       2.19.4-1.fc11    development       1.3 M
 glibc                   i686       2.9.90-2         development       5.7 M
 glibc-common            i386       2.9.90-2         development        22 M
 glibc-devel             i386       2.9.90-2         development       2.1 M
 glibc-headers           i386       2.9.90-2         development       616 k
 nspr                    i386       4.7.3-3.fc11     development       122 k
 nspr-devel              i386       4.7.3-3.fc11     development       113 k
 nss                     i386       3.12.2.0-3.fc10  development       1.2 M
 nss-devel               i386       3.12.2.0-3.fc10  development       229 k
 nss-tools               i386       3.12.2.0-3.fc10  development       1.2 M

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)         
Update      12 Package(s)         
Remove       0 Package(s)         

Total download size: 59 M
Is this ok [y/N]:
I am at a critical stage in my work, everything I need runs fine as it is so I don't want any chance of something going wrong.

Enough chat and onto my question: Are the other dependencies that will be installed, if I accept the upgrade, likely to "break" anything in my current installation?

My kernel is: 2.6.22.14-72.fc6

I really can't afford the time or annoyance of anything stopping working, so if anybody thinks it may cause a problem please say so. I've lived with it for six months, so a few more wont be too hard

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:46 AM
Demz

yes it'll break for sure. if you have the rawhide repo enabled an your using a stable Version of Fedora it'll break your stable version for sure

why are you stil using fc6? its been EOL for ages now
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:59 AM
php1ic Offline

Thanks for the very quick response,

I'm not really sure why my laptop had fc6, from what I can gather the guy who sets up all of the laptops made some sort of disc image a while back and hasn't been bothered to make a new one since.

I'm still fairly new to being anything more than just a linux user on a large network so don't know the technical term, but I know that he has a standard, simple way, to set up laptops. My colleague got the same model at exactly the same time and they both have the same "quirks"

Thanks again
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:07 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by php1ic View Post
Thanks for the very quick response,

I'm not really sure why my laptop had fc6, from what I can gather the guy who sets up all of the laptops made some sort of disc image a while back and hasn't been bothered to make a new one since.

I'm still fairly new to being anything more than just a linux user on a large network so don't know the technical term, but I know that he has a standard, simple way, to set up laptops. My colleague got the same model at exactly the same time and they both have the same "quirks"

Thanks again
would of been better off with CentOS than a Fedora OS. i think your better off to suggest that to this guy that installed fc6 cause there wont be much help on this forum for your OS. or no updates. where as CentOS5 is/was based from Fedora core 6 an has a 5 year security update policy where as Fedora has a 13 month update policy on every new major release
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:44 AM
SuperSkippy Offline

To be honest though, if I was trying to do what you are doing, I'd probably just get a thunderbird tarball from mozilla.com. This stands a better chance of working.

Alternatively, download the source RPM from development, and try and recompile it.
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:43 PM
php1ic Offline

Hi SupperSkippy,

I did that with firefox to get 2.0.0.16 when yum wouldn't update past 1.5.?.?, and it's worked fine ever since (after quite a steep learning curve about plugins).

If I have a free afternoon, I may try that way. I'm happy with thunderbird as I have it at the minute so it will depend on how bored I get.

Tags
development repo, old fedora, upgrade