Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2009, 11:40 PM
LeaderXFX Offline

RPMfusion loads NVIDIA driver : machine no longer boots. HELP!

In completely new to Fedora. After a clean install, I went through, configured yum, did all yum updates and rebooted. I then installed the graphics card (m9500 gs) using RPMfusion and restarted again. After doing so, the comp shows the fedora loading bar but once it finishes, it hangs there and you see a small flashing box. I have no idea how to uninstall that nvidia driver. I later went through and added:
Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

to my xorg.conf. Still same issue. Finally I went through and added the "notap" to the grub.conf. I am at a complete loss here. When I try and manually load the driver, the Nvidia installer gives and error about not finding any preconfigured kernels for the package. Then It try's to build its own kernel but says its missing the "cc" in the "gcc" package.

Any ideas? If you want to know exactly what I've done so far, I pretty much only followed the guide at my-guides.net. As you might be able to tell, I am very NOOB.
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:09 AM
sidebrnz Offline

I take it, then, that you followed Dangermouse's guide, http://dnmouse.org/nvidia.html to install kmod-nvidia instead of getting the drivers from nVidia. That's a good first step. You probably also want to install akmod as well, if you already haven't. You'll also need to use yum to install kernel-devel to get the headers you'll need and at least some of the programs in the Development Tools package. To get that, still as root, of course, use this:

yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

and you should have everything you'll need.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:15 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderXFX View Post
In completely new to Fedora. After a clean install, I went through, configured yum, did all yum updates and rebooted. I then installed the graphics card (m9500 gs) using RPMfusion and restarted again. After doing so, the comp shows the fedora loading bar but once it finishes, it hangs there and you see a small flashing box. I have no idea how to uninstall that nvidia driver. I later went through and added:
Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

to my xorg.conf. Still same issue. Finally I went through and added the "notap" to the grub.conf. I am at a complete loss here. When I try and manually load the driver, the Nvidia installer gives and error about not finding any preconfigured kernels for the package. Then It try's to build its own kernel but says its missing the "cc" in the "gcc" package.

Any ideas? If you want to know exactly what I've done so far, I pretty much only followed the guide at my-guides.net. As you might be able to tell, I am very NOOB.
where did you get the nvidia drivers from?
an have you got i think the kernel-devel & kernel-headers installed? if not install those if you can boot to say Runlevel3 an download those packages you should be fine but i would advise to get the drivers from here by adding the repo
Code:
su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'
or follow these steps by leigh123@linux http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

Last edited by Demz; 22nd January 2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 07:41 PM
LeaderXFX Offline

Still nothing. I re-installed fedora, again, and installed everything from scratch. I installed the drivers from http://dnmouse.org/nvidia.html, I installed the akmods, installed the development tools, and edited xorg.conf. It still wont start up. It looks like its trying to load the graphics card but never does. Also Demz, I double checked and I did do the install it from that link....

Last edited by LeaderXFX; 23rd January 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:12 PM
Demz

that card. is that a DDR2 card or DDR3 card? the nvidia one . perhaps it dont like your motherboard? i dont know

Tags
boots, driver, loads, longer, machine, nvidia, rpmfusion