Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th January 2009, 12:33 AM
Andysan Offline

Quick Question Regarding wvdial - works fine on **buntu?

Hi all,

I'm currently rocking an Acer Aspire One with a standard GNOME Ubuntu Intrepid installed. I've since tried Fedora 10 XFCE, and found it to be lightning fast and ready to go outta the box - i'm seriosuly considering switching to what looks to be a very polished distro.

However, i use my mobile phone (HTC Hermes/Orange SPV M3100) on the UK Orange network when out and about for connectivity. On Ubuntu based systems, i connect the phone and run the following commands:

Code:
/sbin/modprobe ipaq vendor=0x0bb4 product=0x00cf
wvdial
And then everything works OK. On Fedora, when copying my wvidal.conf and options file from Ubuntu and attempting to dial, everything appears to work OK - the phone lights up and there are no error messages displayed, but i cannot load any webpages - Firefox just tells me that i am not connected (have checked that "Work Offline" isn't ticked). Interestingly, the Networking Manager will recognise my phone as a modem, which Ubuntu will not, so this is an alternative option, but when i create a GSM connection i see no clear way to dial it?

Any help that anyone could be kind enough to offer in getting me online via either method would be much appreciated. Attached below is my wvdial file as used in Ubuntu (options file is too long but i have it to hand).

Thanks!

etc/wvdial.conf

Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
;Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init2 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet"
Modem Type = USB Modem 
Phone = *99#
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = test
Password = test
Baud = 460800
Idle Seconds = 0
Carrier Check = no
Stupid Mode = on
FlowControl = NOFLOW
Compuserve = 0
Auto DNS = 1
Old 20th January 2009, 01:20 AM
ozjd Offline

If Network Manager shows it in the list when you left click on the NM icon jut select it and it will try to connect.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:45 PM
Andysan Offline

Thanks ozjd,

Had a bit more time to look at this tonight.

The Network Manager recognises my phone as a modem, and asks me if i want to make a CDMA connection, where i am prompted to give only the number to dial and my username/pass. This is all well and good, but when i dial i get no response on the phone screen.

I can also create a GSM connetion, which lets me specify the APN aswell, but then i cannot see any option to dial this like the CDMA connection.

Thanks.

Tags
buntu, fine, question, quick, works, wvdial