Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th January 2009, 09:00 PM
DaveVentresca Offline

VNC & Vino

1 computer on Fedora 10 Gnome (mine) in seattle with vnc, vnc-server and vino installed and configured (correctly I think). I can open vnc-viewer and type in Merlen:1, it asks me for a password and then opens a window that shows my desktop and I have full access. I want to connect however to my dad's computer also running Fedora 10 Gnome in NY. He has vnc, vnc-viewer and vino installed as well.

When I open vnc viewer on my end what do I type in to connect to my dad's computer? his (IPaddress):0? that's what it looks like on the mini-guide posted here about vnc and vino. Also, when I try to do Merlen:0 it asks for a password, but closes the vnc viewer right after i type in my password. is that a protection against infinite nested windows?
Old 18th January 2009, 10:38 PM
DaveVentresca Offline

Also, there are wireless routers in between my computer and my dad's. I assume this means I'll have to set up port forwarding on dad's (the server) end? Any help?
Old 18th January 2009, 10:42 PM
Brian1 Offline

There are about 3 or 4 ways to setup desktop 0 ready for vnc connection. The one off the top of my head is add this line to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file under the modules section.
Load "vnc"

Restart X server and then should be able to connect to desktop 0.

As to connect remotely you have to setup portforwarding on the remote router to accept the coonection and route it to the correct internal IP machine. I would port forward 5900 from the external wan IP to the internal lan IP port 5900. If the remote user has a firewall up you may have to see if port 5900 is open on it. If not then it will need to be open on the lan machines firewall to accept outside connection. If you plan to do it alot or not I would recommend doing vncserver connection over an ssh connection. But first do it simply and then you can improve security. Just dont recommend it open to the public without security. You can add username and secruity password to the xorg.conf file. Look on www.realvnc.com for help there.

So then the command vnvviewer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5900

Brian
Old 18th January 2009, 11:11 PM
DaveVentresca Offline

Brian.
Ok, so for port forwarding, I have my parents add a new service called 'vnc' with the ip address set to the internal ip of dad's computer 192.168.1.2 with the ports 5900-5910 forwarding & then I connect to that PC by using the external ip address of dad's computer and :5901?

Just having alot of trouble getting this figured out, frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18th January 2009, 11:22 PM
Brian1 Offline

Yeah you got it but I would only do a single port for now. Again if a firewall is on your dad's machine it will need to have the port opened through it or just turn off the firewall for the moment. Not sure if SELinux is enbled whether it can be an issue. I leave mine off mostly since I dont understand it yet.

Brian
Old 19th January 2009, 01:11 AM
DaveVentresca Offline

got it! turning off SELinux and the Firewall (temporarily) seems to have worked. I got connected and full access! Now I added a bit of security and I'm using the ssh tunnel method and this is also working. Thanks for your help man!
Old 19th January 2009, 02:11 AM
Brian1 Offline

glad to see you got it working. ssh is the best option. only one port open but can do so much with it.

Brian

Tags
fedora 10, vino, vnc