Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2004, 04:54 PM
_PepeR_ Offline

FC1->FC2 and cyrus-imapd

Hi,
I just upgraded my machine from FC1 to FC2 and got big problem. Imapd from FC1 was repleaced by cyrus-imapd. But it's not working Cyrus-sasld athenticates users with success but users can't see their mailboxes. How should I easy migrate from imapd to cyrus-imapd ? I want /var/spool/mail mailboxes to be visible and local account ~/mail folder with users mail folders.
Thanks for help.

Peter,
Old 27th May 2004, 08:04 PM
rhardy Offline

We are planning an upgrade to cyrus-imapd. Basically as far as I can tell you can't just upgrade the server and have everything work. cyrus-imapd works in a different way from previous imap daemons from FC1 etc.. It seems to be a closed design. It also seems like a very good design in that while it is closed from a user perspective it is open from a sysadmin perspective so you can easily debug problems with it. There were many critical design flaws in the old imap daemon. cyrus-imapd seems to have many advantages in terms of speed, performance, simplification of backups, better integration with the various MTAs (in comparison to wu imapd w/ mbx format) and perhaps reliability. It does however have a downside in that it seems to require a one time conversion of your old mbx/mbox etc. folders. This can either be done using a tool (although I haven't found an ideal tool for mbx yet) or by setting up a second server and using a mail client or command line tool to move all folders from the old server to the new server on a per user basis.
Old 27th May 2004, 10:07 PM
aheld Offline

check qmail resources

Check out qmail.org - they have a bunch of user contributed maildir support apps and few doz. perl scripts that handle this.

I think I used http://qmail.feratech.com/convertsubs.pl
a few years ago, but I can't remember.
Old 10th November 2004, 01:18 AM
xavient Offline

try dovecot
aptget dovecot

Tags
cyrusimapd, fc1>fc2