Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th January 2009, 08:55 AM
Nanook Offline

SunOS Emulation Aurora 2.99/FC6 Sparc

Can anybody point me to information regarding SunOS emulation on UltraSparc hardware under Aurora 2.99 which I understand is based on Fedora Core 6?

I upgraded a machine previously running Redhat 6.2 and a 2.2.26 kernel to Aurora 2.99, most things worked but SunOS emulation which I've relied on to support some legacy applications, is no longer working.

I thought perhaps it was just not compiled into the kernel; but now it appears it is no longer even an option in the kernel configuration.

Is this something which is now just gone from Linux on Sparc platforms?
Old 15th January 2009, 08:57 AM
Wayne

Moved to Linux Chat as this is not a Fedora related question, whether it's based on it or not.

Wayne
Old 15th January 2009, 07:59 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

More and more pieces of SunOS binary emulation were being removed from the 2.6.x kernels, up to version 2.6.26, which made the removal complete (see Linus' comment dated Mon Apr 21 17:20:53 2008 in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...angeLog-2.6.26). Aurora 2.99 uses kernel 2.6.23, and I believe most of the SunOS emulation had been removed by then.
Old 18th January 2009, 08:30 AM
Nanook Offline

SunOS emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
More and more pieces of SunOS binary emulation were being removed from the 2.6.x kernels, up to version 2.6.26, which made the removal complete (see Linus' comment dated Mon Apr 21 17:20:53 2008 in http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...angeLog-2.6.26). Aurora 2.99 uses kernel 2.6.23, and I believe most of the SunOS emulation had been removed by then.
Yea, not happy about it. Had hoped that it would give me a way of running classic applications that I can't get source to, on a platform that is still maintainable.

I guess there is still netbsd, but didn't really want to learn yet another operating system.

Tags
emulation, linux, sparc, sunos