Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th December 2008, 09:18 PM
Gundumfx Offline

pulseaudio and enableing my soundcard

right, so system-config-soundcard is gone. and my issue is that if i ever install fedora without gnome, my sound refuses to work.

i did a cat /proc/asound/cards and got this:

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xf9ff8000 irq 22

so the thingy is detected, however when i do paman (im new to pulseaudio as i've never been forced to learn anything about it, till now) i see that my only output is null.

i have 0 idea how to enable it. please dear god help... here's all the relevant info

i did a very minimal install, added all the repos during install so i have up-to-date packages
i didn't install any WM cept fluxbox, and no gdm/xdm, added a SLiM after everything was done.

thats basically my install, now i've been trying for a while so i have alot of sound packages installed, just no idea which or what i do to enable that sound device. and the only time the sound worked on my machine is with vista or with a linux installed with gnome.
board is p5q pro if thats relevant.

so i want to know, how do i enable my sound to be used by pulseaudio? remember, NO GNOME
Old 28th December 2008, 10:43 AM
Gundumfx Offline

3 day old. bump. no progress. plx help
Old 28th December 2008, 03:49 PM
cheerio158 Offline

I have a similar problem except I created a F10 liveusb and have no sound. Weirdly, the sound works fine on the same laptop (specs in my tag line). This formerly worked with F9 liveusb build.

It is frustrating because of the now-gone sound card detection tool.

I ran mplayer -ao help to get the list of devices and tried each one to no avail (i.e. mplayer -ao pulse test.wav).

I'm now at a loss for ideas too.

Help ??
Old 28th December 2008, 09:53 PM
Telliria Offline

I also did a clean "install" with the live xfce version of Fedora 10 and no sound. My sound card is identified by the system. All the audio programs seems to be playing the sound files I try. However I can't hear anything except for a small bump from the speakers when I start an audio file or flash movie.
Old 29th December 2008, 09:29 AM
Gundumfx Offline

did some digging around, and someone told me to run the alsa-info.sh tool for more info

so here it is
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=62...2ce5e02b95f588
any help would be sweet, as you can see, my soundcard is detected but will not run
Old 29th December 2008, 01:05 PM
fuad_ Offline

i am a new to fedora - i have the same problem

no sound - it's enough

actually i am thinking to go back to microsoft windows
Old 29th December 2008, 02:57 PM
cheerio158 Offline

I'm now suspicious that there is a recent bug in the F10 driver which supports Intel sound cards:
  1. Sound using my liveusb works fine on my desktop (see smolt profiles below).
  2. I ran the original release F10 live CD (albeit x64, not 386) and sound worked fine on my laptop.
  3. But if I boot my laptop without the liveusb (fully up-to-date x64 F10), sound works fine (indicating that this may be an x64/3886 issue).
  4. I'm also suspicious of SELinux, it is disabled on the native laptop but permissive in the liveusb.
Still investigating and any ideas, tips or hints would be welcome.

fuad, don't go back to Windoze just yet!!. Once you work past this small glitch, you will be amazed! Assuming you are using Gnome, double-click on the volume control launcher on the Desktop panel and review the different controls to be sure they aren't on low or even muted. Also go to the Gnome Main Menu->Sound and Video->Pulse Audio Volume Control and review the settings there.
Old 29th December 2008, 07:07 PM
Gundumfx Offline

i guess i forgot to mention that it works if i install gnome when i install fedora with gnome, but i didn't, i just installed fedora completely minimal and added Slim and Fluxbox. so gnome either starts a session or daemon or configures something that i don't.
Old 29th December 2008, 08:58 PM
cheerio158 Offline

I partially resolved my problem in this thread.
Old 29th December 2008, 09:52 PM
Gundumfx Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio158 View Post
I partially resolved my problem in this thread.
my problem is not the same as yours, my card is detected, but not enabled or something, alsa, pulse, oss nothing can access it. for reference see my alsa-info above.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:12 PM
nevionix Offline

Gundumfx,

As far as my knowledge goes about pulse audio, it requires server and client side to work properly. Now I have never used xcfe so I won't know where to put the details in (maybe in a xcfe startup script?), but try this and check if it works for you, as this is what Gnome calls to run sound:

start-pulseaudio-x11

Let us know!
Old 30th December 2008, 06:14 AM
Gundumfx Offline

i can run it after i added myself to the pulse-rt group. but i still can't play sounds, tried vlc and aplay, neither play anything.
any more ideas?

heres thought. someone tell me exactly all the layers need to run a audio wav file
so something like:
vlc -> pulseaudio (conf and permissions too) -> alsa (also conf and permissions) -> HDA Intel ICH10 (conf and permissions as well)

i think thats the order, so what are all the things i need to do to get sound up and running?
Old 30th December 2008, 10:21 AM
nevionix Offline

G,

I have found this for xfce:

http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3697.0

If all else fails, I might have some time over the weekend to install xfce and give it a test..
Old 30th December 2008, 01:36 PM
Telliria Offline

My problem seems to be exactly like gundumfx. My soundcard is detected but no sound.
How do I add myself to the pulse-rt group? If there's any stats or readouts from my computer that will help solving this problem, please let me know.
Old 30th December 2008, 01:51 PM
nevionix Offline

Telliria,

Are you also using xcfe? When you say exactly like G's, did you also test Gnome? Was your sound working in Gnome?

To add yourself to the pulse-rt group, you need to edit /etc/groups, example:

pulse-rt:x:496:username

Try the option that was found on http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=3697.0 by adding /usr/bin/pulseaudio to the startupitems in xcfe

Regards,

Tags
enableing, pulseaudio, soundcard