Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Security and Privacy
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Security and Privacy Sadly, malware, spyware, hackers and privacy threats abound in today's world. Let's be paranoid and secure our penguins, and slam the doors on privacy exploits.

Old 14th December 2008, 03:07 AM
zackf Offline

Encrypt F10 LiveUSB w/Persistent install

I saw this questions a few months ago, but never saw a response so rather than drudge it up I'd thought I'd start new since F10 is out.

I have used the LiveUSB tool (on Ahem...a largely distributed OS developed in Washington State) to make a LiveUSB install on my 8Gig drive. I want to carry this drive on my keychain but in case they get jacked I just wanted to have it encrypted.

I use it right now to do online bill pay and such but obviously I don't want to carry that info around if my stuff isn't as secure as it could be.

So all in all my question is:1) Can I encrypt the Filesystem since it's already been installed?

2) If not is there a way to install it in such a way that it's encrypted?

I have seen a checkbox option to install F10 encrypted on a normal install on an HDD.

I'd also be interested in any opinions to enhance or add to securing a LiveUSB stick.
Old 14th December 2008, 05:51 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

1) You have to install with encryption. Anything else is tricky
2) Fedora 10 does encrypt /home by default. Install livecd-tools and look at the command line options if you need to customize it
Old 14th December 2008, 06:42 AM
zackf Offline

Very good. I figured I'd have to reinstall. I didn't even know there was a package for it in Fedora, I had just read about it on lifehacker a while back and have gotten more and more interested in it ever since.
Old 14th December 2008, 07:04 AM
RahulSundaram Offline

Hi,

Yeah, you have two packages

1) liveusb-creator - cross platform gui
2) livecd-tools - livecd-iso-to-disk is a command line script that converts a live image into a bootable usb. Number of options there.

Tags
encrypt, f10, install, liveusb, w or persistent