Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th August 2004, 07:27 PM
carlwill Offline

Can't boot into Linux anymore :(

I installed XP Pro on my HP notebook and then I did a fresh install of Fedora Core 2.
Only thing I did after I installed FC2 was change my screen resolution to unprobed LCD monitor 1024x768

&

I also edited the /boot/grub.grub.conf menu to change "other" to read "Windows XP" and it had 2 boot options for Fedora Core 2

#1 = 2.6 SMP kernel
#2 = 2.6 kernel

so I removed the 2nd option and just left the 2.6 SMP kernel since I am using the Hyper Threading CPU and will use the SMP kernel.

Now when I boot in to the Linux option from Grub, I see the details list and then right before the login screen, nothing but pure black and it just hangs on a black screen

Any suggestions? I am thinking about reinstalling this linux partition but not sure if that will do any good.

The only thing unusual during boot up is this message...

ACPI: S3 & PAE do not like each other for now, S3 disabled
Old 17th August 2004, 08:47 PM
tashirosgt Offline

You might just have an Xserver problem becaused you changed the display. When the screen goes black, if you press the numlock key does the light on keyboard go off and on? If so, the machine is not completely hung.

If its not completely hung, it's worth trying tomsrtbt to get on the machine and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and return the display to its previous setting. "toms root boot" is good tool, I don't know the details for using it from memory but you can find them on the web.
The FC2 cd 1 might have such a tool on it already, some kind of text boot option. I don't have one in front of me now, so I can't check that out. Anyone know?
I
Old 17th August 2004, 11:08 PM
carlwill Offline

I am just going to try and reformat the Linux partition just in case and see of this issue continues...

Thank You!

Tags
anymore, boot, linux