Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th August 2004, 04:11 AM
virusdoc Offline

Script to autorun gtkam for digital camera access?

Is it possible to write a script that automatically launches gtkam when the system detects my Canon Digital Rebel being connected to a USB port? I'm trying to make our new Linux home system as user friendly for my wife (who is used to XP Pro) as possible. I don't mind command line terminals and starting things manually, but she does.

I've noticed in the hardware browser that when the camera is connected it shows up under "system devices," so it seems like there ought to be a way to get this system notification associated with an application launch. If this is a stupid question, please tell me why. I'm on the steepest part of the Linux learning slope right now.
Old 17th August 2004, 03:53 PM
tashirosgt Offline

I use my Olympus C700 from the command line, but since you didn't get any other replies, let me point you to
the article:
http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/usbcamera.php
This suggests that the way one ought to get things automatically mounted is to use the built-in autmounting features configured by /etc/auto.master. At least the article will give you some ideas for further research.

A script woud probably have to cat some file in the /proc directory and look for the camera. That would mean the camera was already mounted by the system!
Old 17th August 2004, 05:49 PM
virusdoc Offline

Great--thanks! I will read up. This is the kind of resource I was looking for, but apparently I wasn't googling efficiently.

Tags
access, autorun, camera, digital, gtkam, script