Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th December 2008, 08:25 PM
jamiebernstein Offline

Novatel USB760

I'm trying to get my Verizon Novatel USB760 modem working with Fedora 10. The system recognizes the device as a storage device, but Network Manager does not see it as a modem.

In dmesg I see the devices correctly detected as a Novatel Wireless CDMA product. What do I need to do to get this recognized by NetworkManager?
Old 10th December 2008, 08:56 PM
jamiebernstein Offline

A little progress:

Added the device to /etc/modprobe.d/usb760:
options usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x6000

Also, found a post suggesting editing /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi with the following:
<!-- Verizon USB760-->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">
<match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6000">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
<append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>
</match>
</match>

Now the modem is detected and seen by NetworkManager as a mobile broadband device. A few problems remain:
- When modprobe picks up the device, it creates four usbserial devices (ttyUSB0 - 3)
- NetworkManager lists the device four times
- It is necessary to eject /dev/cdrom after inserting the modem, before it is detected (because there is also storage on the modem, Linux first recognizes it as a cdrom-type device)
Old 23rd December 2008, 07:38 PM
drh Offline

Usb760

Hi,

I just purchased the USB760 and am starting to set it up on my linux machines. Your posts helped me get a manual approach to work. When I get back in town after Christmas, I'll work on getting it to work with the NetworkManager (hopefully, someone will post the correct settings by then).

Some notes:

added a match to interface 0 in the hal script. Afterwards, NetworkManager shows only the one modem device. Heres the complete section:

<!-- USB 760 -->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
<!-- <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">GSM-07.07</append> -->
</match>
</match>
</match>

Note: I tried both the IS-707-A and GSM-07.07 modem command sets. Both worked. I'm not sure which one to go with.

With this change (and setting the usbserial options) and after eject /dev/sr1 (the cdrom interface of the modem on my machine), I was able to connect to the internet by running pppd and setting the default route. That actual commands were:

sudo eject /dev/sr1
sudo pppd call 1xevdo
# get the IP, XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX from /var/log/messages
route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

# to disconnect used:
poff

The scripts 1xevdo and 1xevdo_chat were on my machine from testing a usb modem last year. I think they came from http://www.linux.com/feature/52729?theme=print. I made changes to the scripts when I was testing the old modem, but they also worked for this one. I'm attaching the two script in case anyone wants to use them for a reference (if the attachment worked, I don't see it on the preview). In the long run, I would prefer to get the correct settings into NetworkManager.

Doug
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:57 PM
jamiebernstein Offline

Thanks Doug. I was missing the interface statement in modem.fdi. That did solve the issue of the device being listed multiple times. I also disabled autorun in Gnome, so I no longer get the popup about the Verizon software being available to run.

So the only outstanding issue is how to get the modem recognized as a modem rather then a storage device (until it is ejected) or at least recognized as both storage and modem at the same time. I'm still working on that problem.
Old 25th December 2008, 03:27 AM
jamiebernstein Offline

The following combination of steps - with advice derived from several different how-to's - seems to be an effective workaround for various problems I've been having with the Novatel USB760 modem.

The problems were: Verizon software attempting to autorun when the modem is inserted; having to eject /dev/cdrom in order for the modem to be recognized; and the connection being listed multiple times by NetworkManager.

- Disable autorun in Gnome: (why autorun a Windows executable anyway?)
- System menu, preferences, personal, file management
- In the 'Media' tab under 'Media Handling',
change 'Software' option to 'do nothing'

- Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
- append the following to the lines related to the mass storage device slash modem:
RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k"
note: The rule entries are generated by udev when the modem is seen for the first time; insert the modem at least once before doing this step.

- Add the following to /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi
<!-- Verizon USB760-->
<match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
</match>
</match>
</match>
Old 29th December 2008, 08:38 PM
drh Offline

The udev rule to eject the cdrom interface of the modem works well.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 31st May 2009, 05:20 PM
berrysval Offline

Did anyone ever come up with a set of steps that are foolproof for making this device work properly under fedora 10. I'm having a very similar problem and need some help figuring it out. See my post http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=1#post1219577
Old 26th January 2010, 04:22 AM
vvaldez Offline

windows_7safari
This thread has helped me in the past so I wanted to give back.

I'm using Fedora 12 fully updated and this modem is still not available by just sticking it in. I filed a bug with validated foolproof steps here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=558701

Other bugs have taken care of the other items in this thread, so you don't have to do anything to 10-modem.fdi. You can simply right-click on the mounted icon that appears on the Desktop and eject (or run /usr/bin/eject), wait a few seconds and it will appear in NetworkManager (keep trying).

You can sudo tail-f /var/log/messages and watch it mount and present the mass storage. Then when you eject it switches to modem mode, creates 4 devices, then deletes 3. Then you can use it to dial.

However, you can still use the suggestion in this thread to have udev eject by editing:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules

And adding the eject run command.

Or use usb_modeswitch with detailed steps in the bug.

Basically:
1. sudo yum install usb_modeswitch
2. Edit /etc/usb_modeswitch and uncomment the USB760
3. Run sudo usb_modeswitch
4. Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules to have udev execute /usr/bin/usb_modeswitch

This leaves the storage device connected while making the modem available.

Last edited by vvaldez; 26th January 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:16 PM
sarahslagstedt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It works with Ericsson MD400

Thanks a lot for the step by step installation of usb_modeswitch. Steps 1-3 helped me connect to Telenor.

But I don't quite understand step 4. Help please. How do I configure /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules. Simply don't understand.
Old 31st January 2010, 05:09 AM
vvaldez Offline

windows_7safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahslagstedt View Post
Thanks a lot for the step by step installation of usb_modeswitch. Steps 1-3 helped me connect to Telenor.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahslagstedt View Post
But I don't quite understand step 4. Help please. How do I configure /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules. Simply don't understand.
Sure. The file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules is a list of devices that have been inserted in your system that get mounted as a CD/DVD. You should see 3 or so entries with the line "Novatel Mass Storage".

So just append to the end of any of those lines the following:
Code:
, RUN+="/usr/bin/usb_modeswitch"
So that's a comma then space, then RUN+=. Now when you insert your device, it will automatically execute usb_modeswitch.

Hope this helps.

Tags
novatel, ttyusb, u760, usb760, verizon