Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th December 2008, 01:26 PM
srip Offline

us fedora any good?

F10 live cd not booting on my machine.bios error,no root file system,i/o error etc.going to bash3.2#
is fedroa any good.i tried mandriva,pclos,ubuntu etc they are all working.
will install dvd work?
Old 8th December 2008, 02:19 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by srip

...is fedroa any good.
Hello srip,

I think I know what you really meant by that, but I thought I should mention this first anyway...
Fedora Statistics
All of those millions of machines would not be running Fedora if it was not "any good".

Now back to you. Even though I have never had any hardware-related problems with any version of Fedora (at least no serious ones that prevent installing or running), I know from reading here that Fedora is not universally installable and runnable on every machine ever assembled. You may have some serious hardware issues to adjust. First consult the hardware requirements in the release notes. That a good place to start.

Another idea to consider is the integrity of your CD or its optical quality. Did you choose a version compatible with your computer? Did you verify the downloaded ISO file? Did you have your burning software verify the data after burning? Are you using high quality disks for burning? Are you certain that your optical drive is good or can read the disk you burned? Can you try your F10 LiveCD on another machine?

Another idea is to try the Fedora 9 LiveCD. Every new Fedora version introduces new stuff (that's its purpose, you know). Sometimes the new things can send some people's computers over the edge. You never know, the Fedora 9 LiveCD might do better on your equipment. And Fedora 9 will be with us and fully supported for another 6 or 7 months.

Another idea: If you have a lot of "stuff" connected to your computer such as external drives, camera docks, card readers, video camera, dual monitors, even scanners and printers, etc, then disconnect all of that stuff. Boot the LiveCD on as simple a hardware configuration as you can manage.

Quote:

...will install dvd work?
I don't know. Often, people recommend the LiveCD as a way to try out Fedora. I imagine that serious hardware issues affecting the LiveCD have at least a good chance to affect Anaconda and a hard drive installation. But it's not hard to try it and see.

Last edited by stoat; 8th December 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 8th December 2008, 03:27 PM
srip Offline

I have tried ubuntu,mandriva,pclos,xubuntu,kubuntu even dsl.all these live cds are working perfectly on my machine ibm think center, except fedora.I think since it is a community one its not properly made.statistics dont mean much...
Old 8th December 2008, 03:52 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:

I have tried ubuntu,mandriva,pclos,xubuntu,kubuntu even dsl.all these live cds are working perfectly on my machine ibm think center, except fedora.
What is the relevance of that? Then use those.

Quote:

I think since it is a community one its not properly made.
I'm not really sure what that sentence means. If you are referring to your particular physical CD disk, then I agree. But if you are referring to the Fedora 10 release in general, then I guess you have answered your own question in the title of your thread.

Quote:

statistics dont mean much...
Then why does mankind even bother with them? Best wishes with whatever you end up using.

Last edited by stoat; 8th December 2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 8th December 2008, 04:33 PM
sentry Offline

Fedora is no good, please use Ubuntu instead, don't forget to subscribe to their forums and please delete your account here immediately. We'll begin dismantling all the infrastructure of the fedora project and eventually blink out of existence in a puff of failure.

Good luck srip, godspeed.

Tags
fedora, good