Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 15th August 2004, 11:50 PM
neilius Offline

Question Printing issues with Epson Stylus Color 890 and OpenOffice

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum but I've been trawling through every now and again to find answers to my questions. I'm quite new to Fedora and Linux but learning the ropes bit by bit and I understand a lot of the stuff now, thanks to this forum and other sites like the Fedora FAQ one etc. I'm enjoying the challenge of this learning curve a lot. I've migrated from Windows because I was quite frankly sick of all the spyware, virii and constant maintainence that comes with running a Windows system. I'm much happier now and I can do pretty much everything I did before in Linux much more efficiently. In fact, I often sit here bored because I have nothing to scan, defrag or clean up!

Anyway, I'm getting this problem with OpenOffice - can't get printer properties displayed at all, nothing. Also, when I print in Write, the page seems to start about 2cm down from where it should, cutting off the bottom part from the paper. It's like someone shoved the paper down into the printer a bit further than it should have gone when it was loaded. This happens with other apps too but the cups and a4 postscript test pages print perfectly. I've searched around Usenet, Google, this forum, and the various help files in Fedora itself but I'm still stumped! If anyone could shed some light on why this is happening or provide a fix, I'd be really grateful. My specs:

Epson Stylus Photo 890 using cups and the gimp-print-ijs driver which was the recommended choice. The printer itself is on a Windows box and I print to it via samba.

Fedora Core 2 with latest updates applied via up2date
Athlon XP 1800+
K7S5A Motherboard
256MB DDR RAM
40GB IBM DeskStar HDD
Geforce2 MX400 Graphics Card with 64MB RAM

Thanks in advance,

Neil.
Old 16th August 2004, 01:07 AM
imdeemvp Offline

is this an USB printer? i had and usb printer that acted the same way....i got rid of it and now using my old canon bjc 3000 parallel port without a problem

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 16th August 2004, 08:31 AM
neilius Offline

Hi,

Yep it's a USB printer alright but it's not connected to my Linux box. I print to it over the network and it works perfectly on the computer it's connected to.

Regards,

Neil.

Tags
890, color, epson, issues, openoffice, printing, stylus