Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2008, 03:18 PM
tx836519 Offline

Samba on F8 - Cannot access windows shared folders

I attempted to move one of machines from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 and basically trashed my system. The most significant thing that I noticed in setting up Fedora 9 was that when I tried to set a static ip address for the machine, I lost the network and I could not get it back even when I re-enabled DHCP.

After I rebuild the system on Fedora 8 to get back to where I was initially, I will image the system so that I can restore to this condition. Then I will attempt the Fedora 9 piece again.

This machine is serving three functions in my network:
1. It is a Linux workstation in my workshop.
2. It is an online Samba server that can assume the windows-server function if my primary server goes down.
3. It is my system archiver running BackupPC.

I am currently not getting the expected operation from Samba. I can ssh connect in both directions between primary windows server and the backup server. I can also browse and access the shares on the primary server via Gnome>computer>network. While I can see the windows workstations, I cannot access shared folders on them as I could in the previous setup. I can connect to shares on this machine from windows and access all shares from the primary server via Gnome>computer>network. The primary server can access shared folders on my windows workstations.

I am missing something and have yet to figure it out. I am hoping someone here can help me discover what I have forgotten to do. I have compared setting between this rebuild and the running primary Samba server (also on Fedora 8) and can find no differences in setup, but I may just not be looking in the right place. -- ken

Last edited by tx836519; 3rd December 2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: insert omitted word
Old 12th December 2008, 06:56 PM
tx836519 Offline

Update to original post...

Well, I have finally gotten back to square 1 with my machine running properly on Fedora 8. I have determined how I can image the OS in a reasonable amount of disk space so that I can recover if I again trash the system. Now, I am continuing my effort to update to a supported distribution (since Fedora 8 support is ending in January).

Thus far, I have tried to get Fedora 9 to install by updating the Fedora 8 system and also by a clean install to the disk. In both cases, I cannot get it to work properly. After the install and when attempting to configure the system, it is generating SELinux AVC error messages at most efforts to do anything with configuration. Even after updating the system, it will continue generating these errors. I have tried to relabel the system disks to clear the errors, but have not had any luck. I can't even get the system running well enough to use normal methods to update/configure the system to obtain the basics of my current configuration.

At the moment, I am seriously considering abandoning Fedora. I have been quite pleased with the Fedora 8 operation and expected similar operation out of version 9 once it was issued and stable. If I am missing something on the update process, I am needing some help to find it. I am open to any suggestions to get this update process to work. -- ken

Tags
access, folders, samba, shared, windows