Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2008, 09:31 AM
mrechte Offline

F10 Install hangs with HD3200 embedded graphic MB

Hi,

F10 hangs during installation (screen freezes at some point), and never completes. On the same machine, F9 could install OK except that the install selected "ati" Xorg driver never worked and I had to revert to "vesa".

I understand that F10 now activates graphics within the kernel and that could be the reason of such freezing in the install phase.

I finally managed to complete anaconda install using "text" parameter on the install command line prompt to do a text install (press tab, add the word text)... This confirm a serious problem with HD3200 graphics chip embedded in my Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H.

Thereafter the machine boot in runlevel 3 (no X). Trying to start X (startx command) freezes the machine. /etc/X11 contains no xorg.conf so I suspect the startx to try to build an xorg.conf with "ati" driver. So I created my own xorg.conf with "vesa" driver. Startx now works. Replacing "vesa" with "ati" freezes the machine. So "ati" driver seems to be the problem.

By the way system-config-display has gone from the F10 install DVD. It was a useful tool to build an /etc/X11/xorg.conf from scratch (this helped me to make F9 work on that MB)

Hope this will help some others with AMD chipset (780G + SB700) to have a better F10 experience than mine...

P.S. Another interesting point is that the proprietary ATI driver fglrx despite working on F9, developed problems: periodically the computer freezes for a few seconds, especially when interacting with the display... Playing any sort of video produces screen flickering (only on the video screen portion). But one can configure a very nice looking desktop with effects on and in Full HD mode (1920x1280),
Old 19th March 2009, 09:11 AM
radovic Offline

I had the very same problem with F10. I tried everything... 32bit, 64bit, l ive cd, nothing installed. It freezes for the 32bit version, and 64bit just reboots the machine over and over again. I have ECS AMD780GM-A v1.1 motherboard with the same chipset, bought it especially for nice compiz experience in Gnome, but, Fedora wont install. I really hope that developers fix this in the next release F11, so I can get back to my beloved distro. (now I am stuck using ubuntu which works (just)). I wont install F10 through text, because, later i cannot configure X to run properly on ati drivers.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:46 AM
mrechte Offline

Hello,

Since the initial F10 release, ati driver has been updated and now is able to drive the HD3200 (basic support however, no 2D/3D). So, once you have done a text install, just update the system (xorg-x11-drv-ati should be updated), make sure "Driver "ati" is set in the xorg.conf Device section and try to start X. Once it is Oaky, you can change the default runlevel to 5 in /etc/inittab.

Fglrx driver is also usable (2D/3D support), but I have and undercanning issue with my monitor (see https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=424).

Ragards
Old 19th March 2009, 11:25 AM
radovic Offline

Thanks very much, I will get on to it, ass soon as I get home. Just one more question:
Should I install 32bit or 64bit?
Old 19th March 2009, 11:55 AM
mrechte Offline

If you have no good reason for 64 bits (more than 3/4 GB RAM, 64 bit optimised application), stick to 32 bits. 64 bit applications consume more memory than their 32 bit equivalent. Some software are not available in 64 bit, and some times they use the wrong version (because 64 bit libraries come along with 32 bit libraries as well).
Old 19th March 2009, 12:35 PM
radovic Offline

Thank you very very much sir, I will install (hopefully) F10 32bit version when i get home, and post my success here.
Regards, Aleksandar.
Old 20th March 2009, 08:24 AM
radovic Offline

Thumbs up

Success! I have successfully installed Fedora 10 in text mode, added ati drivers from the repository, and now it works! Thank you so much sir.

Tags
embedded, f10, graphic, hangs, hd3200, install