FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 10 | static ip issues

    Have Fedora 10 up and running - clean install. Standard Realtek NIC. During install, system configured itself assuming DHCP. Fine, except that I don't want DHCP - I want a static ip config. So, I go nto network configuration tool, and turn off DHCP, and click the radio button telling the system I want a static ip address. Enter subnet msk, gateway, and all the usual stuff, configure DNS address, exit/save, reboot, but when the system comes back up, the subnet mask is no longer 255.255.255.0 (which is what I entered), but is now the same as the default gateway address!

    Needless to say, this is not what I had in mind. ;-)

    I tried manually editing ifcfg-etho, setting subnet to 255.255.255.0, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ft Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have NetworkManager disabled as it will override whatever settings you have set.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    www.metasdata.com
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure someone will give you a better Fedora-based answer but I don't know what you're doing wrong in Fedora. So I'll try to help from a networking perspective. What kind of connection do you have? Are you at home connected directly to the internet or are you connected through a server maybe at work?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ft Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this thread here, read the 2nd and 3rd posts

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=205145

    Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
    Make sure you have NetworkManager disabled as it will override whatever settings you have set.

    Mike

    Network Manager turned off. Went into Network Configuration tool, Devices, Edit, and deselected Network Manager. Also, being anal, ran chkconfig NetworkManager off.

    Makes no difference. Everyt time I fire up Network Config tool, Devices, Edit, the subnet mask reverts to the gateway. And, no networking as a result.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron
    I'm sure someone will give you a better Fedora-based answer but I don't know what you're doing wrong in Fedora. So I'll try to help from a networking perspective. What kind of connection do you have? Are you at home connected directly to the internet or are you connected through a server maybe at work?

    At work - hard wired into the internet (basic T1 into my office). Have 2 other boxes hooked into same system - all static ip, all working perfectly, all running Fedora 8. Its only on this new box am I having this problem.

    Every time I try to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, it doesn't stick. It keeps reverting to my gateway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
    See this thread here, read the 2nd and 3rd posts

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=205145

    Mike

    Tried all the tricks I read there (most of which I knew).

    Turned of Network Manager using chkconfig NetworkManager off

    Made sure network enabled using chkconfig network on

    Even hand-edited the eht0 config file to specify the right subnet, but it keeps getting overwritten by...something.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed this too on my setup, here is how to fix:

    1. go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
    2. open ifcfg-ethX (where x is the number of your nic usually 0)
    3. edit subnet mask
    4. save

    fixed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    www.metasdata.com
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forum.query
    At work - hard wired into the internet (basic T1 into my office). Have 2 other boxes hooked into same system - all static ip, all working perfectly, all running Fedora 8. Its only on this new box am I having this problem.

    Every time I try to set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, it doesn't stick. It keeps reverting to my gateway.
    Well if you're running directly into the internet you should have the right subnet mask. But just for the hell of it try 255.255.0.0 and see if that works.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron
    Well if you're running directly into the internet you should have the right subnet mask. But just for the hell of it try 255.255.0.0 and see if that works.
    what the OP is seeing is a bug in the network device setup GUI/dialogs it does not accept 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask, and it instantly changes back to your primary IP, right now the only way to fix it is to manually edit the config file that the GUI is changing/creating (see my post above)

    You can recreate this anytime by attempting to setup a static network interface using the network settings GUI in Gnome

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
    I noticed this too on my setup, here is how to fix:

    1. go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
    2. open ifcfg-ethX (where x is the number of your nic usually 0)
    3. edit subnet mask
    4. save

    fixed!
    Alas, tried this first, and it didn't solve the problem.

    It is worth noting (perhaps) that if I select DHCP, and enter the host name (which maps via DNS to the ip address I need), everything works perfectly. While I realize a pragmatist would say, so, simply use the DHCP switch, I don't find that satisfactory, and I don't think it will work in the end for some of what I want this machine to do.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forum.query
    Alas, tried this first, and it didn't solve the problem.

    It is worth noting (perhaps) that if I select DHCP, and enter the host name (which maps via DNS to the ip address I need), everything works perfectly. While I realize a pragmatist would say, so, simply use the DHCP switch, I don't find that satisfactory, and I don't think it will work in the end for some of what I want this machine to do.
    hmm interesting, can you post your ifcfg setup file and your /etc/resolve.conf?

    I too do not use DHCP, it just means slower startup times and why bother using it on a home desktop computer

    as long as your ifcfg file is proper and network manager is disabled and the card is working thats all you need

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    On the road. What day is it again?
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use the system-config-services gui to configure run-levels. If you are not going to use NetworkManager, make sure that it is unselected and click on the save icon.

    I am one of those people that moves around quite a bit with a laptop,, but also have need to configure static ip's. I kill NetworkManager with "service NetworkManager stop" and then manually configure my interface from the command line.

    If "something" is not allowing you to enter a static ip, I think the place to start is to run the following command and post the output.

    service --status-all | grep running

    disclaimer: I am currently on f8 and downloading f10...
    ...What if there were no hypothetical questions?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
    hmm interesting, can you post your ifcfg setup file and your /etc/resolve.conf?

    I too do not use DHCP, it just means slower startup times and why bother using it on a home desktop computer

    as long as your ifcfg file is proper and network manager is disabled and the card is working thats all you need
    So, finally getting more clever than I have been, I decided to simply compare the ifcfg file on the misbehaving machine with the equivalent file on my other Fedora 8 boxes that are running just fine.

    Turns out that there were several keep differences. On the working machines, I had the following lines in the ifcfg files that were not there on the problem machine:


    BROADCAST=blah.blah.blah.255
    NETWORK=blah.blah.blah.0


    I put those two lines into the ifcfg file on my problem machine, and made sure that subnet set to 255.255.255.0. Restart the network service, and...voila, it worked!

    I can also confirm that if you bring up the GUI tool and try to set the subnet to 255.255.255.0, it won't take it, and overwrites with the gateway number. Thanks to an reply further up this thread for tipping me off to that - to me, this is a HUGE bug, because for a lot of us in 'big enterprises' (like the University I work at), 255.255.255.0 is the required subnet. To have a fundamental part of the network config tool choke on that seems to be a big issue (and, it most have crept in somewhere between Fedora 8 -> 10, since it works fine in Fedora 8).

    I still have no idea why the DHCP seemed to work just fine (especially when my network guys tell me it shouldn't have worked at all, but...).

    So, seems that the best way to set up a static ip with Fedora 10 is to:

    1. drop Network Manager (chkconfig NetworkManager off)

    2. manually edit ifcfg to specify what you want. Mine currently looks like the following (relevant bits changed to protect the stupid...):

    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    BROADCAST=xxx.yyy.zzz..255
    HWADDR=xx:yy:zz:11:22:33
    IPADDR=ab.cd.ef.gh
    IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=xx.yy.zz1.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    DNS1=aa.bb.cc.dd
    DNS2=ee.ff.gg.hh
    GATEWAY=xx.yy.zz.1
    TYPE=Ethernet
    NM_CONTROLLED=no
    USERCTL=no
    PEERDNS=yes

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shess01
    I usually use the system-config-services gui to configure run-levels. If you are not going to use NetworkManager, make sure that it is unselected and click on the save icon.

    I am one of those people that moves around quite a bit with a laptop,, but also have need to configure static ip's. I kill NetworkManager with "service NetworkManager stop" and then manually configure my interface from the command line.

    If "something" is not allowing you to enter a static ip, I think the place to start is to run the following command and post the output.

    service --status-all | grep running

    disclaimer: I am currently on f8 and downloading f10...

    You might want to look at the post I just made - turns out there *must* have been some bug that slipped into the GUI for network admin between Fedora 8 (which I'm running fine on other machines in the same room), and Fedora 10.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. sound issues with VLC - occasional static
    By slade17 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th March 2008, 09:31 AM
  2. Issues with CDPlayer and Static
    By The Emperor in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th April 2006, 01:40 PM
  3. Issues setting up a server and a static IP
    By PILMAN in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14th December 2005, 03:20 PM
  4. FC2 Overriding static if in favor of dhcp system set for static
    By pkraus109 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21st September 2004, 05:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •