FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    aleph's Avatar
    aleph is offline Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nanjing, China
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Beware: F10 network setup bug and workaround

    Dear all,

    If you are using F10 with static IP, you may have trouble using system-config-network GUI to setup your network. I experienced this bug in F10 Preview and Final: the IP address, network mask and gateway address will not be saved correctly by system-config-network. The network mask value saved in the config file will be the same as the gateway address, which is obviously wrong. The result is network appearing down after restarting the network service.

    To workaround this bug, go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scirpts directory. As root, edit the file ifcfg-eth0 (of ifcfg-XXX where XXX is the interface you are configuring) with your favorite editor, change the values of network mask/broadcast manually, save the file and restart network.

    I hope this little howto could help you enjoy your newly installed F10. I don't know much about other network configuration ways (eg. NetworkManager) though.
    Code:
    from rlyeh import cthulhu
    cthulhu.fhtagn()

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hungary/Debrecen
    Age
    43
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Thanks aleph! It works for me!!
    Sorry 4 terrrible inglish.
    sys-admin the hungarian community Fedora/RH site

  3. #3
    alosii Guest
    Thanks! This worked for me too!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks your workaround works. It seems unfortunate that it comes to this though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. My machine always installed without any problems on all versions of Fedora right back as far as FC3. Incredibly I have been arsing around with my new F10 install and I cannot figure out how the hell to get networking working at all. It just does not seem to want to come up. Previously it always just worked. Very disappointing....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this for when the router doesn't provide the ability to assign static IPs on an internal network?
    Desktop (64-bit) - F12, Debian Sid, OpenSUSE 11.2, ArchLinux

  7. #7
    aleph's Avatar
    aleph is offline Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nanjing, China
    Posts
    1,332
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is just a GUI issue. Someone borked the mapping from GUI widgets to text fields in the saved file.
    Code:
    from rlyeh import cthulhu
    cthulhu.fhtagn()

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed FC10 on 29-Nov-2008. Uptill FC9, I used to get the prompt for setting ip, mask and gateway during installation itself, but it wasn't so during the installation of FC10. The GUI network set-up was also slightly different as I got the different window than on FC9. After setting up the ip, mask and gateway and saving it on, the network activated but there was no data transfer, as if the network is dead.

    When, checked the ip again, it was found that the mask value assumes whatever the value of gateway; a bug most likely.

    As told in this forum, I will try changing the file ifcfg-eth0 with editor.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Internal network Joomla website workaround
    By bytesniper in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st December 2007, 06:35 AM
  2. IPv6 workaround - network still slow
    By whatthe? in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th October 2004, 03:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •