Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 25th November 2008, 04:35 PM
SendDerek Offline

Cool How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 10

This is my humble tutorial on how to get VirtualBox properly up and running on Fedora 10 (including USB support). It's located on my web blog here:

How To: Install VirtualBox on Fedora 10 [Tutorial]

Enjoy!

Last edited by SendDerek; 28th November 2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 25th November 2008, 04:43 PM
SendDerek Offline

Cool Direct Content:

Updated November 25th, 2008

This is a tutorial on how to get VirtualBox up and running on Fedora 10. Also, this tutorial is for the 32-Bit version of VirtualBox, so you’ll have to customize a little more to get the 64-bit version running. Everything in the “code” sections should be copy/pasted/typed into the terminal. Right, let’s get to it:

PreStep.) Open the terminal and get into super user mode:
Code:
su -
1.) Get the latest VirtualBox package (as of now, 2.0.6) from the VirtualBox website for Fedora 9 and install it (generally, after a few months, the Fedora 10 link will be available).
Code:
wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.0.6/VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm && rpm -ivh VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm
2.) Get the kernel-devel package:
Code:
yum install make automake autoconf gcc kernel-devel dkms
3.) Run the setup file for VirtualBox:
Code:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
4.) Add yourself to the “vboxusers” group and fix SELinux Permissions:
Code:
usermod -G vboxusers -a username
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so
5.) Run, and enjoy!
Code:
VirtualBox
6.) To Get USB Support:

1 - create a new group called “usb”;
2 - locate file usbfs: in my case is /sys/bus/usb/drivers (I suggest to find the file with a usb device inserted;
3 - modify file /etc/fstab inserting a line containing the right path and the number corresponding the “usb” group :
none /sys/bus/usb/drivers usbfs devgid=503,devmode=664 0 0
4 - command mount -a;
5 - start VB and try…;

Source: Fedora Forums
7.) To Properly Backup the VirtualBox Machine (.vdi):

Please refer to my other page here:

How To: Properly Backup a VirtualBox Machine (.VDI)

8.) To Get Sound Working:

Highlight your virtual machine and click on the “Settings” button. Click on the “Sound” category, and then check the “Enable Sound” option. In the drop-down box, select “PulseAudio”. You should now have sound.

Last edited by SendDerek; 28th October 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added another step for SELinux
Old 25th November 2008, 06:35 PM
leigh123linux

It would be better to use dkms !

Code:
su
Old 25th November 2008, 06:44 PM
SendDerek Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux View Post
It would be better to use dkms !

Code:
su

Thanks!

I'll update the tutorial with that instead.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what that was, so I looked it up. Here's the link for anybody else interested in learning about DKMS:
http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml
Old 26th November 2008, 12:28 AM
SendDerek Offline

Thanks to DangerMouse for pointing out a potential issue with SELinux denials. I have added this step to the tutorial.
Old 26th November 2008, 09:40 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

Cool

Works fine in x86_64

You need also install the qt libs

Code:
yum install qt qt-x11
Old 27th November 2008, 04:20 AM
Mobius X Offline

Danke

This is a very useful guide. Thanks SendDerek...just installed it on my machine.
Old 27th November 2008, 05:22 PM
wilbertnl Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
Works fine in x86_64

You need also install the qt libs

Code:
yum install qt qt-x11
Thank you, I needed this information.
Old 27th November 2008, 06:01 PM
metatron Offline

Thanks, I'm not sure if it was some of the updates I installed or your tutorial, but it took care of my SELinux problem when starting Virtualbox.
Old 29th November 2008, 11:28 PM
londo Offline

Hi guys i'm kind of a noob and i tried everything referred in here in order to install virtualbox on Fedora 10.
But when i type:

wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...ra9-1.i386.rpm && rpm -ivh VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm

i get this:

error: open of VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm failed: No such file or directory

So when i continue the steps, there is no /etc/init.d/vboxdrv ...
Old 30th November 2008, 12:41 AM
wilbertnl Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by londo View Post
Hi guys i'm kind of a noob...
Hello londo,

Go to the following web page and download the Fedora 9 i386 file: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
Old 30th November 2008, 12:43 AM
SendDerek Offline

Wink

Well, that particular command will download the virtualbox installer and then (&&) installs that rpm package. You're getting that error because it's not downloading it in the first place.

Maybe you should bypass that and visit the virtualbox website directly. Download the latest version of virtualbox, open with the package manager to install it, and then you should be good to go on with the rest of the tutorial. Let me know if you have problems after that.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:54 AM
marko Offline

Another problem is that VirtualBox's web site inserts a bunch of gibberish in the filename
because of some kind of redirection or java script they're using.

That wget command in post #2 will get something like this as the filename on your local disk:
Quote:
VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm?e=1228006573&h=27396f90923454969ab1f531 159cf6d5
You can do this to force the name back to what it should be:
Quote:
wget -c http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...ra9-1.i386.rpm -o VirtualBox-2.0.6_39765_fedora9-1.i386.rpm
Then do your yum localinstall as usual
Old 30th November 2008, 02:01 PM
londo Offline

Hello again... thanks a lot for the time you all spended in order to help me! All the information you gave me were quite helpful and I finally managed to install Virtualbox on my machine!
Last night I even started thinking of going back to Fedora 9 because many things have gone wrong but now I think you should start preparing for my next questions (just joking)!
Old 30th November 2008, 08:55 PM
marko Offline

One gotcha with VirtualBox is that VirtualBox depends on using its "vboxdrv" module
but Fedora also has a module called kvm that will load if you have a cpu that supports
hardware virtualization. To use vboxdrv, you have to unload the 'kvm' and kvm_intel or kvm_amd
modules (using _amd or _intel depends on if you have a Intel or AMD cpu).

vboxdrv and the kvm modules can't be loaded at the same time at least not when running
something that has to use hardware virtualization (windows is an example).

PS. KVM is a different virtual system, that is built into the kernel, you can try
that by running "virt-manager" as root

Tags
fedora 10, how to, tutorial, usb, virtualbox