Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st November 2008, 04:05 PM
jusbug Offline

RPM Fusion with centos

hi, i'm wondering if i can use RPM Fusion repo with centos 5.2, because it's says "RPM Fusion is a merger of the following package repositories for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux", and when i tried to install it i got this error message :

warning: /root/Download/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 49c8885a
error: Failed dependencies:
system-release >= 8 is needed by rpmfusion-free-release-8-5.noarch

please any help guys.
Old 21st November 2008, 04:11 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

Moved to Linux Chat

https://badges.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:49 AM
marcrblevins Offline

You can't crossbreed OSes rpms...
Centos 5 and Red Hat Linux 5 are Fedora Core 3 thru Fedora Core 6.

In theory, Fedora 7 thru Fedora 9 would be the next Centos 6 & Red Hat Linux 6.
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:00 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbug
hi, i'm wondering if i can use RPM Fusion repo with centos 5.2, because it's says "RPM Fusion is a merger of the following package repositories for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
Not yet - the RHEL repos are not populated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusbug
, and when i tried to install it i got this error message :

warning: /root/Download/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 49c8885a
error: Failed dependencies:
system-release >= 8 is needed by rpmfusion-free-release-8-5.noarch

please any help guys.
You can't use the Fedora RPMFusion repo release RPMs for RHEL.

V

EDIT: I just realized: CentOS is neither Fedora nor RHEL, so you should be very wary of using any such RPM packages on it.

Last edited by Hlingler; 22nd November 2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 22nd November 2008, 06:36 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

You've been given the answer, but just a little elaboration...

Firstly, this was moved to Linux Chat because it's not actually Fedora--this can confuse folks, but if it's RHEL or CentOS, it goes to Linux Chat. *I* would have explained it, but Leigh is laconic--I consider him the Clint Eastwood of the mods.

(cringes as he awaits a public shooting--don't hurt me Leigh, I couldn't resist. You *know* I shouldn't be allowed to post after 23:00 my time.)

Secondly, on *RARE* occasions, you can get away with it. However, the CentOS developers, and this includes people like Dag, who maintains rpmforge (loosely equivalent to rpmfusion, but more aimed towards CentOS) spend a lot of time testing their rpms to make sure that your CentOS system stays stable. CentOS isn't about cutting edge, as I'm sure you know, it's about stability and all that good stuff. As Alan on their forums and wiki cheerfully says, if you're using unsupported programs and you break it, you get to keep both pieces.

So, it's always a risk using outside software with CentOS. Much of the time, you can get away with it, but, especially with RPMS made for later Fedora's, the chances get slimmer and slimmer.

You might want to add the CentOS extras, testing, rpmforge, and such to your repos. Take a look at the CentOS wiki, just do a search on repositories or something similar.

The only caveat I'd give as far as that goes is it's not a good idea to have both the rpmforge and atrpm repos in your /etc/yum.repos.d. Just like mixing various Fedora repos, it can cause conflicts. From time to time, pulling a single rpm off atrpms is fine. (If, for example, you have rpmforge in your yum.repos.d but it's a dangerous habit.
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:19 AM
jusbug Offline

but guys, on the website its says for fedora and RHEL.
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:31 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

But CentOS is neither Fedora nor RHEL.... it is CentOS. You could probably get away with using RPMFusion RPMs for RHEL, since CentOS is RHEL without proprietary logos and such, but there are none available yet. So: it's a moot point at the moment.

V
Old 23rd November 2008, 03:05 AM
scottro Offline

Ah, so it does, but it looks as if you may have grabbed the Fedora, rather than the RHEL5 ones. (@Vince, I've never run into an RHEL5 rpm that didn't work on CentOS, which doesn't, of course, necessarily mean that much, as I have my CentOS contacts and whine at them till they make an rpm for me, so I've only used it a few times.)

My earlier warnings stand, though, it's best not to mix them--if you use RPMFusion, don't use rpmforge and all that.

Did you definitely install the RHEL5 version, as opposed to the Fedora version? That 8 in there makes me think you grabbed the wrong one.

Also, note that they say you have to enable the EPEL, extra packages or something like that. Hrrm, not even sure where one gets that repo.

Ah, this looks promising.

rpm -ihv http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...5-3.noarch.rpm http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5...rhc.noarch.rpm

(I see that's for i386, I assume there's an x86_64 one as well.)

More info here
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
Old 23rd November 2008, 03:07 AM
scottro Offline

Also, I think I should apologize. I had no idea that RPMfusion was available for CentOS/RHEL, so I blithely gave you incorrect advice.
Old 23rd November 2008, 03:27 PM
scottro Offline

I gave this a try last night. First I installed the epel repo. A careless update managed to trash mplayer, audacity and yum, which made it difficult to fix.

Please do read the CentOS wiki link I gave you and observe their warnings about mixing 3rd party repos. (The same warnings apply to Fedora). One has to be careful, and should probably not do it very late at night.

In the end, I had to carefully go through my yum.log, figure out what came from epel, uninstall it, (all of which was difficult because yum wasn't working--I had to remove it, as fortunately, the rpm command worked, and reinstall it and its dependencies from an install CD), to fix things.
Old 26th November 2008, 02:46 PM
jusbug Offline

regarding mixing repos, there's an interesting plugin under centos:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities
Old 26th November 2008, 04:15 PM
scottro Offline

Yup, and I forgot to set my priorities straight. Seriously, I had commented it out for some reason or other and forgot to put it back in when I played with EPEL.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:08 PM
JohnVV Offline

doing some
Googleing and came across this old thread .
to fill in some games i have been looking into using fedora 9 rpm's on centOS 5.3
so fare i KNOW these work just fine
glaxium-0.5-4.fc9
dejavu-fonts-2.24-3.fc9
opengl-games-utils-0.1-5.fc9
foobillard-3.0a-8.fc8 -- exact same as the f9,10,and 11 --
-- BZFlag .fc9 had way to many rpm dependencies so i built the source --

so " some" a few fedora 9,10,11 rpms will work on CentOS 5.3
BUT BE VERY,VERY,VERY CAREFUL ON WHAT YOU DO

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 19th June 2009, 05:45 AM
GCFreak Offline

You have to install EPEL first then RPMFusion, then it will work.
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7GHz | 2GB DDR2-800 | ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | 2x Albatron GeForce 8500 GT 256MB | Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 | Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 | 510W Power Supply | Fedora 11 and Windows XP SP3
Server
2x Intel Xeon Dual-Core 2.4GHz | 2GB DDR-266 ECC | Dell PowerEdge 1600SC | ATI Rage XL IGP 16MB | Dell PERC 3/SC SCSI RAID Controller | SATA RAID Controller | Redundant Power Supplies | CentOS 5.3
Old 19th June 2009, 06:24 AM
JohnVV Offline

but as it stands there are only a few things in the rpmfusion repo

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10