Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th November 2008, 08:33 PM
sidebrnz Offline

Mounting thumb drives

Whenever I mount one of my thumb drives, it shows up on the desktop, with the brand name of the drive. I've given one of my drives a label with dosfslabel, unmounted and remounted it, but it still does the same thing. Does anybody know if there's a way to get Fedora to use the drive's label (if there is one) as the name? Not only does it look better, it's easier to make sure you're using the right one.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 18th November 2008, 09:14 PM
joejoebob Offline

Sounds like the label didn't stick. Trying making the label using gparted. After you do that reload gparted to make sure the label stuck.

Last edited by joejoebob; 18th November 2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: expand
Old 18th November 2008, 09:33 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

If it's one of those SanDisk thumb drives you might want to check and see what the software on the stick is doing as well.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:29 PM
sidebrnz Offline

It's not a Sandisk, so that's not appropriate, but thanx. Gparted can't label a FAT32 device. Nice thought, though, and I should have come up with that one myself.

Old 18th November 2008, 10:31 PM
joejoebob Offline

I've got gparted to label thumb drives for me lots of times. Worked fine.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:37 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

I've had no problem getting gparted to label a FAT32 device either. The reason I wrote about the SanDisk is because you didn't say what mfg yours was and it's not just SanDisk that putting that software on their thumbdrives. They do it so that the device can go between *nix/M$/mac systems more easily. Anyway.. I wasn't trying to be insulting or anything.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:48 PM
sidebrnz Offline

Believe me, I didn't take the question about the Sandisk as an insult, but as a suggestion that didn't happen to apply.

I just installed gparted, and under features, label is crossed out for FAT32. If either of you have managed to get around that, I'd love to know how.

Old 18th November 2008, 10:57 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Code:
mkdosfs -F 16 -n LABEL-NAME /dev/sdbx
Leave off the -F option (chose 16 or 32 if you use it) and let mkdosfs choose what is appropriate.
LABEL-NAME maximum of 11 characters.
And, of course, specfy the correct /dev/sdxx to format and apply a LABEL to.

I do this with all my flash storage media (thumb drives and mp3 players and SD flash cards. When they auto mount, the desktop icon uses the label name I gave them. Backup any data on the device before doing so as it will be wiped clean with the reformatting.

Edit: The device should not be mounted when you do anything with partitions or creating file systems.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 18th November 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:58 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Well, I'm using GParted 0.3.9 and the 'label' for FAT32 is checkmarked green. So I have no idea how to help with that.

p.s. oohh, it just occured to me.. when you do this have you selected the thumb drive as the partition to show?

Last edited by pwca; 18th November 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 18th November 2008, 11:20 PM
sidebrnz Offline

I'm also using gparted 0.3.9 and label has an X for both FAT16 and FAT32. I just installed it using yumex. And, yes, of course I had the thumb drive selected. Trying to label a drive without selecting it sounds a tad stupid, don't you think? I also tried unmounting the drive on the off-chance that it might make a difference, but it didn't.

Thank you, Pablotwo, but I'm looking for a non-destructive way to add a label to an existing drive, not reformat it. If I had wanted or needed to reformat it, I would have mentioned it.

Old 18th November 2008, 11:33 PM
pwca Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
And, yes, of course I had the thumb drive selected. Trying to label a drive without selecting it sounds a tad stupid, don't you think?
Okay. I only suggested it as a last minute thought because it's that whole I can't get my computer online... only to discover that eth0 is unplugged from the router. If you've been there you know what I mean. I realise you're a bit frustrated but there's no need to get testy... I'm only trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz View Post
Thank you, Pablotwo, but I'm looking for a non-destructive way to add a label to an existing drive, not reformat it. If I had wanted or needed to reformat it, I would have mentioned it.
How about moving the stuff off the drive or backing it up somewhere then doing Pablotwo's suggestion and moving all the stuff back onto the drive. That could work. It's a bit tedious but it could work.

Last edited by pwca; 18th November 2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: additonal thought
Old 18th November 2008, 11:45 PM
sidebrnz Offline

If I had access to a Winderz box, I could label the drive in a matter of seconds. There's a Linux command, dosfslabel that's supposed to do the same thing, just as quickly, but apparently doesn't. Backing up, reformatting and restoring seems to be the hardest way to do this simple task and I'm reluctant to resort to such an inelegant brute-force solution.

Old 19th November 2008, 12:04 AM
sidebrnz Offline

OK, I'm half there. Just on a hunch, I tried this as root:

dosfslabel /dev/sdc

but without specifying the label. It reports that my drive now has the label I want. Alas, it still shows up on the desk top as simply a Lexar USB drive. Now, the question becomes, how can I tell Fedora to use any thumb drive's label (if there is one) to name it? I ask partly for myself, partly for my sister. She has several similar looking drives and wants to make it easier to keep track of which is which. She uses Ubuntu, but I'm figuring that if I can get it working on Fedora, the same thing will work there.

Old 19th November 2008, 12:09 AM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz
I had searched for a non-destructive way to label a DOS fs and never found one, so I just resigned myself to the fact that a fresh format in the process was going to be part of the deal. I didn't know about the dosfslabel command. Thanks for pointing that out to me (too bad, no man page for it). I'll have to see if I can get that work for me, non-destructive style.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:10 AM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebrnz

dosfslabel /dev/sdc
Hello sidebrnz,

I don't have a pen drive myself. So what follows is highly ignorable, but I have no shame. Don't they have a master boot record and partitions like hard drives? Isn't it a (the) partition that is being mounted and therefore appearing on the desktop? Shouldn't you label the partition and not the drive?

Tags
drives, mounting, thumb