Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th November 2008, 09:28 PM
TechDragon Offline

Mobile broadband issue

ARG!

Sprint Mobile Broadband Novatel Wireless Ovation u727 USB

I installed Fedora Core 10 kde did all the updates and had a fully functional system. But I had some issues with KDE so I reinstalled and went to Gnome I checked my sprint card before doing any updates and it worked fine. I then did the updates rebooted and re-inserted the sprint card and it acts as if it doesn't exist. This is mucho FRUSTRATING it still shows in the "edit connection details" and everything is the same as it was before, but now it will not show up in the "connections" area.

Please help: how do I get my sprint usb mobile broadband card working.
Old 19th November 2008, 02:35 PM
srbdivb Offline

Did you get this working? I plan on upgrading to F10 when final comes out, but I have to have that card working. It works like a charm in F9, I'm hoping it will be the same in F10...?
Old 19th November 2008, 03:02 PM
TechDragon Offline

the answer is two fold,

When fedora finds my u727 usb mobile broadband device it adds it as a thumbdrive you have to right click it and eject it, it blinks a few times and re-assigns itself to a network device you then can click network manager and and connect to it.

Here is the second part, it only seems to work with KDE the Gnome version doesn't appear to be capable of correctly ejecting and then re-assigning.

I could be wrong but I try for days before returning back to the "kinda" buggy KDE, I say "kinda" because nothing is a show stopper it just has quirks, such as

Two package managers that can conflict at times and if you install a .rpm without a signature you need to you Fedoras manager and not KDE's, as KDE's say no sig, no can do. This probably a setting somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

Also, the file manager tends to go nowhere when first clicked on, you can click on home and it will display your files, it also displays icons funky the folder names appear on different lines reqaurdless of how you manipulate the window like this

docume download
cts s

Etc, of course these all may be pebkak errors. I am far from a guru.

Fedora 10 is better than 9 in my opinion during 9 I returned to Ubuntu and waited for 10.

Tags
broadband, mobile