Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th August 2004, 04:24 AM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

Time to reflect....

I went to distrowatch and found this link, it is a very intresting article, which i could relate to myself, after reading this, it makes me to remind myself everytime about the sense of community.

http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?o...ticle&sid=1899

Very good articles.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 10th August 2004, 05:13 AM
imdeemvp Offline

i can relate to that when i tell other people to use Zinf instead of XMMS!

others say xmms is my choice but i like zinf because is better.....on the other hand good article to read

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 10th August 2004, 05:26 AM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
cool article...we should quit the in-fighting and show the world what linux can do...then we can absorb the enemy one by one...

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 10th August 2004, 09:05 AM
ghaefb Offline
Retired Community Manager

Don't want to steal your thread...

But did anyone read this -> http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7968&page=1

blog & sysinfo
Old 10th August 2004, 09:20 AM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

hahah lol, funny article ghaefb nice one

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 10th August 2004, 09:40 AM
ghaefb Offline

I know I like it too

blog & sysinfo
Old 10th August 2004, 10:30 AM
kosmosik Offline

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/26/WindowsXP.pdf
Old 10th August 2004, 10:56 AM
ghaefb Offline

good one

blog & sysinfo
Old 10th August 2004, 08:24 PM
Jman Offline

I agree with the editorial ewdi linked to. The sense of community is ruined by all the different wars over tools. I don't get this "I use the latest stuff compiled from source, you're supposed to do this, anybody would know that" attitude. This really turns off those new to this kind of thing.

I notice some people thanking us for helpful, newbie-friendly forums, compared to elsewhere. It's unfortunate that it has to be that way, that a hostile environment makes help without the flamewars exceptional.
Old 10th August 2004, 09:48 PM
cavedweller Offline

This is my take on it , I think it is pretty sound. Linux is basically still an os for networking, embedded systems, enterprise implementation, and as the rest of the world sees it's users, geeks. Just once i would like to see the elite come down off their high perches of supreme knowledge and take a good long look around.

MS still rules the roost in the barnyard with 95 percent of the desktop environment. Why????? Look at how we have to go about learning how to use our OS. Googling through tons of junk to find an answer or spending countless ours reading forum post to find out how someone else got something to work.

I think the most relevent thing that can happen, will be when one of the big players developes an easy to use desktop enviroment for the average person.

You have to admit if it wasn't for a sincere need to find something better than Microsoft and at times shear determination to conquer the machine, we could go nuts using Linux. For the newbie there really isn't anything easy about this except maybe the installs of a few Distros.

I'm not knocking Linux.......I love it, but the first company to release a good desktop distro that sceams ease of use to the average person will get my support. Until then I will use Fedora. I don't really see it being a RedHat distro they are to enterprise goal oriented. I really expect if we ever do see it it will come from Novell, not because they are individual oriented because they are not. I just think that, because they are the only ones I hear talking about interoperability........ That weather we like it or not is the future.

Our square peg has to work with their wheel or we just have a square peg. Ten square pegs that won't fit their wheel are just square pegs. Doesn't matter how good the design is. We either have to re-invent the wheel or we have to at bare minimum come up with a decent bushing that works. The problem is simply everyone thinks their square peg is the best . No one is willing to comprimise.

Seems to me that if you own a small company that has less than 5 percent buisiness, you just might want to sit down with the rest of the small company owners and pool your resources to come up with a better product. Doesn't matter how good your product is if it isn't easy to use then it is just a propduct.

I am not elite, just a guy who likes Linux and wishes sometimes it was a little easier to use.
Old 10th August 2004, 10:56 PM
kosmosik Offline

I disagree with this guy. he just doesn't get this techies/geeks are never about acompilishing given task, we are always about acomplishing given task with best of a breed. I can relate to most of his points and these are not valid it is true, that bash sucks, it is untrue that Slackware or Debian are "advanced distributions", and so on... I know this kinds of flames but they show up usualy when somebody (like author) does not know what exactly he is talking about... oh and the last part with girl on Windows ME (die!) is pathetic... it is like american movies with applause and moral on the end. nothing is black and white, and constructive discussions are good.
Old 11th August 2004, 11:46 PM
Jman Offline

Yes, kosmosik, discussions are good, but not if you go into the debate with extreme prejudices. Note that you take for a fact that bash sucks and that Slackware is not advanced. That's an opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, the flamewars these strong opinions generate are pointless, according to this author.

Windows ME may be terrible, but I respect the user who can do something productive on such an OS. It's about the people and their potential, not entirely what tools they use.

Things are not black and white, but sometimes people argue like it is. That's what starts the battle and makes the environment hostile.
Old 12th August 2004, 08:30 AM
ghaefb Offline

Bash sux um.... why?

blog & sysinfo
Old 12th August 2004, 10:51 PM
Tashiro Offline

Hello everybody,

Good articles indeed. After reading this one I hope fedoraforum runs
on a linux box with our 6426 members!!!

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/today.ns...2?OpenDocument

Tashiro
Old 13th August 2004, 03:45 AM
mark Offline

Reflection may be called for...

In my opinion, religious wars are never a good thing - and to wage "religious war" over operating systems seems silly to the point of absurdity. "Silliness" (i.e. playfullness) can be a welcome breath of fresh air. Humor is one of the best preventative measures against taking myself too seriously. But given the extent of the vicious, vindictive and vituperative exchanges I have seen online (thankfully, very rarely here), it's obvious that many others do not share my feelings.

I guess I'm rather mercenary - I don't much care who or where the OS (or application, or utility, or etc.) comes from: if it enables me to do what I want to do , then I'll use it. I don't care for many of Microsoft's tactics and technical decisions, but if they released a version of Windows tomorrow that met my requirements, I'd try it. I like Fedora (I go back some ways with Red Hat) - but if SuZE (or Mandrake, or Debian, or...you get the idea) released a distro that worked better for me, I'd try it.

I have a luxury - I'm a computer dilettante . While I do a lot of work with computers at work (using Windows 2000, I must add), at home I am free to "play" - and that's what I do. I realize that it's a hobby, a source of innocent amusement for me. If I'm able to pass along some helpful information to someone else, that's when I feel good about my hobby. And if someone else out there is using their computer to try to improve themselves, help somebody else or make the world a better place, I applaud and will assist them anyway I can - not cast aspersions because they're running Windows, or a different Linux distro...or a Sinclair 1000.

(Sorry for the length, but something about this thread just kinda set me off...)