Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th November 2008, 08:46 PM
Zotter Offline

F-9 screen blank - do not want!

Using an F9 box as a 'slide show' for a large display in an office. Ran GREAT for about 3 weeks - but some something changed in the last few days that is causing the monitor to 'black out' after 15 min or so. Moving mouse - key strikes, etc don't bring it back. But, if you power the monitor off and then back on again - all is good, for another 15 minutes. Shelling in from another box shows the slide show is still running. glslideshow running in Xscreensaver. (Mmm, wonder if the backlight inverter is failing?)

I find nothing in the monitor setup, manual or support site that talks about blanking or power savings.

I've already put

setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
AND
/etc/bashrc

All that gives me is a message: "cannot (un)set powersave mode" whenever a shell is started (init 3 or 5).

I've also added to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "blank time" "0"
Option "standby time" "0"
Option "suspend time" "0"
Option "off time" "0"
EndSection

as well ass added

Option "dpms" "false"

to the: Section "Monitor" of xorg.conf

and for what it's worth - I've un-installed all the gnome-saver stuff and installed Xscreensaver with all the extras and and gl goodies instead. In it's setup dialog - 'blanking' is set to 0.

Yea - I'm leaning more towards a backlight failure more I read what I've got here - unless anyone has some constructive ideas or suggestions to consider/explore.

Thanks!
Registered Linux user #227845

Tags
blank, screen