Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th November 2008, 09:08 PM
voodoodoc Offline

No sound after moving to Fedora 9

After I installed Fedora 9 (clean install) on a machine that used to run Fedora 8 my sound refuses to work. There used to be a little menu thing to detect my sound card, I think it was actually system-config-sound or something like that. But it doesn't seem to be here now.

lspci tells me the following about my sound card:
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia

Anyone know if this is related to this swtich to pulseaudio that Fedora did by default?
Old 8th November 2008, 10:00 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

the system-config-soundcard gui was removed in F9 because the developers thought the users needed more of a challenge.

Try a basic 'alsaunmute' as root first.

Pulseaudio has a gui pavucontrol (or Applications -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control), which may help (or not).

Some people find removing 'alsa-plugins-pulseaudio' helps.
Old 8th November 2008, 11:02 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Quote:
the system-config-soundcard gui was removed in F9 because the developers thought the users needed more of a challenge.

Ok, that was my belly laugh for today.

Last edited by scottro; 8th November 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9th November 2008, 03:24 AM
voodoodoc Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post

Try a basic 'alsaunmut
Ha, they are doing a good job then.

I don't know if I'm just having a stroke of bad luck or what, but it seems like with the last few releases of Fedora I've had to spend more and more time fixing crap that doesn't work that used to. I don't want to get off on a rant here so....

As far as my current issue this stupid sound thing, its not that the sound card is muted or a volume issue, already tried those two things. When I try to do something like with say xmms, it says it "can't open audio" complains that its not configured correctly or something is blocking it.
Old 9th November 2008, 03:47 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

No, they've made many changes, not all for the better. Personally, I feel sound has been broken since last year when they made the decision to tie its permissions to consolekit--I think avahi-daemon might also be a factor.

Usually, if you stick to the default Gnome, it works now, but pulse audio can also still be an issue, at least for me, as I don't use gnome.

I have a page which though dated seems to, unfortunately, still be applicable, at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/rhsound.html
covering some common issues and possible fixes. Note--do the fixes one at a time and several require reboots.

Tags
fedora, moving, sound