Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 8th November 2008, 08:37 PM
marko Offline

Fedora 10 Preview DVD, using virtual terminals crash xserver

I did a search on this subforum on a problem I've noticed in the F10 Preview DVD and preupgrade and didn't see this posted yet.

I tried to install F10 Preview with the Preview DVD for i386 and found that unlike the older installers, when I used the virtual consoles during the install the Xserver crashed and ruined the installation. This is because when it crashes there's no way to resume the install, you have to start over. Has anyone else seen this?
This was on my Thinkpad T41 with 1GB of RAM

I also saw the same problem when I tried to do a preupgrade from F9 to F10 beta, in that case the
xserver fatally crashed during the preupgrade when I tried to use a virtual console and didn't complete. I was able to boot the machine but it was only partially consistent (yum update after the preupgrade had ton's of dependency failures). This preupgrade was done on my office Dell Optiplex 755 (4GB of memory)
The way this is acting, it's like anaconda is updating the X screen periodically and if you are lucky and just go to a virtual console quickly and come back to the GUI console before any update to the window occurs you're ok, but if you miss the update it crashes. This is just a guess, but I noticed in the preupgrade case it was ok for a while and then crashed later. My guess is the crash was at the time the progress bar got updated.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:31 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

I don't know if this is any help, but I've noticed in F10 Preview LiveCD that the gui console is now on f1 not f7, ctrl-alt-f7 just gives a blinking cursor
Old 9th November 2008, 06:39 AM
SlowJet Offline

See big long thread(s) in October dev list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/
then select October, scroll down to "Reasons to preserve X on tty7" and "X on tty1 on Rawhide/F10".

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 10th November 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Chop link into pieces with instructions.
Old 9th November 2008, 05:37 PM
JoshuaK Offline

Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
I don't know if this is any help, but I've noticed in F10 Preview LiveCD that the gui console is now on f1 not f7, ctrl-alt-f7 just gives a blinking cursor
The reason GUI is now on vt1 is due to Plymouth (which only shows bars on my nvidia system ) which boots the system from vt1 as normal then fades out to GDM/KDM and the fade is possible because its the same vt, no vt change equals no flicker. See? Sorry if this is hard to understand, its hard to explain!
Old 9th November 2008, 11:01 PM
marko Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJet View Post
See big long thread(s) in october dev list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedo...October/thread

SJ
That seems to be password locked ?

I just get a 404 Error, if I dig up the archive in google, it just offers log in page
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/priva...at-devel-list/

Hmm, I'm not interested enough to sign up just to read the one thread....
thanks anyway
Old 10th November 2008, 12:25 AM
SlowJet Offline

It works now, with instructions.
You don't need to sign up to view lists.

SJ
Old 10th November 2008, 04:53 AM
vallimar Online

It's all summarized in Fedora Weekly News -- It's a good idea to read that if you aren't going to keep up with the devel mailing list since they summarize important items in there.

Tags
crash, dvd, fedora, preview, terminals, virtual, xserver