Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th November 2008, 10:15 PM
Drokz Offline

Arrow [Fedora 10] Problems

hey you

i've installed fedora 10 some weeks ago and enjoyed it really. but some things are really getting on my nerves..

1. my laptop has a intel 3945abg wlan card. is it possible to use that in ad ad-hoc-network? i've tried so much distros but can't get it to work. it connects and says "connected" all over the time, but with 0% and no chance for surfing/downloading. (i have a wpa2 ad-hoc network, but it isn't working with wep or no encryption. iwconfig is properly configured i think, all options are set correctly). wpa_supplicant is installed and configured using a tutorial. but it isn't working with wep..

2. my notebook has also a nvidia 8400gs (it's a dell xps m1330) i've installed actual drivers from rpmfusion but the fan (which cooles the heatpipe, which is cooling cpu,chipset and gpu) is running all the time. sometimes it's just running and sometimes (like now) it's running up and down.. so there seems something to be corrupted with the fancontroller? can't get glxgears start working, the desktop effects do not start either. but nvidia display config is installed and says "properly working".. powermizer is working also. in xorg.conf, "nvidia" is set to be the driver. what else can i do? is it just "beta", a problem by the nvidia driver? a problem by fedora? i don't know..but the fan is really getting on my nerves

3. since fed10 seems to recognize my webcam properly can anyone suggest a good program which has similar functionality as webcamxp under windows?

so, any help is welcome and thanx in advance for any answer and help =)

additional information: the system is updated every day, using fed rawhide and rpmfusion rawhide until it gets final. nvidia driver is actual 177.80 from rpmfusion, kernel is also newest. cpu is a t7100, temperatures are 41°C for cpu and below 50° for gpu, with this temperatures, the fan is normally not working (under win*ows). since all is working properly under vista, it seems being a problem with fedora and not the hardware.
thx4help =)

Last edited by Drokz; 4th November 2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:17 PM
_Chipwiz_Ben_ Offline

I have an XPS M1330 too.

1) Sorry, have never tried this so couldn't really help you. Have you tried it with a wire first? That should answer whether it's an issue with your wireless or with another configuration in Fedora.

2) Yeah, I had this. It drove me INSANE. You'll need to update your BIOS. Version A14 is out now (link), when I did it it was A13 which I still have, but I'd assume A14 should still help the fan. I followed the upgrade advice here from Dell; the instructions are for Ubuntu, but work just the same, apart from apt-get being yum, obviously. It worked without a hitch.

For the display drivers, I used the 'akmod-nvidia' packages. Has worked great so far. Try 'yum install akmod-nvidia akmods'. You'll need the RPM Fusion repositories for this.

3) Cheese is a good program for using your webcam. But right now, in Fedora 10, I'm having issues with it. You can read my post about it here. If I reduce the camera resolution to 160x120 or 176x144 from 640x480 in Cheese, I get a picture, albeit at poor quality than what I got in Fedora 9 (webcam in Fedora 9 worked flawlessly out of the box). Your cam may be different to my integrated one, I went for the LED backlit screen because it was brighter, clearer and thinner. This meant that I had to go for the 1.3 (or 0.3, I can never remember which) megapixel camera instead or the 2.0, because the 2.0 is too thick.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Last edited by _Chipwiz_Ben_; 25th November 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:58 PM
Drokz Offline

great great great, a reply

1. i'm connected via wire now, because the wireless card doesn't really work. seems to be a general problem, because with my atheros card it doesn't work, too. in every linux distribution i tried, so i forget about that^^

2. oh i have A11-bios and never updated to A12 because the fan should run more often? the behavior with A11 is no fan in idle.. does that change? thats the most important, it should be silent in idle. when it comes to load, its ok never heard of an A13 bios..and now A14.. A14 fixes only a thing with wifi sniffer?

3. yeah, we have the same webcam, i have the led display, too cheese was the only program i've found around, but that seems not to have the functionality of webcamxp, more like a "snapshooter", can cheese really stream to web? never found that option?
Old 25th November 2008, 01:05 PM
_Chipwiz_Ben_ Offline

1) Why, what does it do exactly?

2) Yeah I thought it would run more often too at a high speed, but I had nothing to lose, the noise was driving me nuts. It's always on, but it's on the slowest speed so you can't hear it. It spins up when it gets really hot.

3) Nah, Cheese is very simple. I'm not aware of any Linux application with the same functionality as webcamxp, which I've just Googled to see what it's like. If I ever find one I'll be sure to let you know, a program like that for Fedora would be cool.

Ben
Old 25th November 2008, 01:23 PM
Drokz Offline

yeah sorry, dualboot user (it student^^)

1. i'm using wlan in an ad-hoc environment. both cards are connecting flawlessly but the connection quality keeps 0% and it's impossible to reach a domain. (ipconfig and iwconfig are correctly set) i've tried it with wep, wpa2 and no encryption, but all keep me offline since it works in vista from the same notebook it should a problem with the wlan dongle (on my desktop pc), a d-link dwa-140.

2. i'll try it. the fan right now is so disturbing, can only get better.. =)

3. would be really great, but webcamxp is a commercial product (for full functionality), which can't be really compared to a freely available software. but if cheese can stream the cam to the internet with a litte overlay (which is not so important), that should be enough at all.. i'll give it a try when i have the time.. =)
Old 25th November 2008, 03:00 PM
_Chipwiz_Ben_ Offline

I'm also a student, but use VMWare Server 2 instead of dual booting

1) Does it look a bit like this?

Note the signal strength (no bars) and no network activity.

Ben
Old 25th November 2008, 03:44 PM
Drokz Offline

mhm.. it looks more like that:

Old 25th November 2008, 04:35 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Guys, I'm closing this thread/Forum since we've got Fedora 10 officially released. For further comments on this problem, start a new thread under General and link back to this one.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
10 nvidia intel 3945