Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 27th October 2008, 06:37 PM
alpha1solo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Apache 2 access from local LAN

I have successfully built a Fedora 9 Linux box and configured Apache2 web service with PHP and Mysql support. I can access my webserver from the Linux machine via localhost, 127.0.0.1, and local LAN IP address (http://172.20.43.70).

I decided at this point before I tackle the DNS, I would try to access the server from a windows XP pro machine on the same subnet (172.20.43.79). This is where I am stuck.

When entering URL http://172.20.43.70 from my XP machine I cannot connect. I can successfully ping the Linux box and have been able to turn off (disable) the Linux software firewall (for testing purposes) via the system-config-firewall command. Additionally, I have set SELINUX=disabled.

Unfortunately I am still unable to access the Fedora web server. Can anyone please advise of what I may be missing? Because they are on the same network segment there are no other devices blocking me so I assume I am missing something on the Fedora box directly.

Two other additional notes..

I can telnet port 80 (and 443) from the Linux box directly, but not from the XP machine.

TCPDUMP for port 80. The output is listed below when trying to connect from the Windows PC:
[root@localhost ~]# tcpdump -n port 80
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
14:41:09.615818 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:12.554717 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:18.591447 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
3 packets captured
3 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
[root@localhost ~]#

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th October 2008, 05:15 AM
marcrblevins Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 43
Posts: 4,168
Can XP ping the linux box? Is XP on the same netowork subnet? Is Windows firewall preventing you to get on that box?

Did you check your httpd access & error log in /var/log/httpd/*?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th October 2008, 01:17 PM
ibbo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,264
run system-config-firewall and make sure http port 80 is open

Ibbo
__________________
A Hangover Lasts A Day, But Our Drunken Memories Last A Lifetime
--
Linux user #349545
(GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th October 2008, 02:16 PM
alpha1solo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins View Post
Can XP ping the linux box? Is XP on the same netowork subnet? Is Windows firewall preventing you to get on that box?

Did you check your httpd access & error log in /var/log/httpd/*?
I can Ping Linux from XP. Both machines are on the same subnet i.e.
XP 172.20.43.79
Linux 172.20.43.70

I am reviewing both logs now. I will post results
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th October 2008, 02:20 PM
alpha1solo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbo View Post
run system-config-firewall and make sure http port 80 is open

Ibbo
The firewall was completely disabled to start, but I restarted it and verified that HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443) Are Allowed
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th October 2008, 02:34 PM
ibbo Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Leeds
Posts: 1,264
Sorry I did not notice that you mentioned it above.

It definitely sounds like an issue with the Linux box. Perhaps your logs may indicate what's amis but It sounds like they will be useless as no connection has been made for them to report and error with anyway.

I would also look at your /var/log/messages file for any indicators too.
__________________
A Hangover Lasts A Day, But Our Drunken Memories Last A Lifetime
--
Linux user #349545
(GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14th November 2008, 07:53 AM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
I am having the same problem

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem here.
Did you manage to find out what causes this?

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1solo View Post
I have successfully built a Fedora 9 Linux box and configured Apache2 web service with PHP and Mysql support. I can access my webserver from the Linux machine via localhost, 127.0.0.1, and local LAN IP address (http://172.20.43.70).

I decided at this point before I tackle the DNS, I would try to access the server from a windows XP pro machine on the same subnet (172.20.43.79). This is where I am stuck.

When entering URL http://172.20.43.70 from my XP machine I cannot connect. I can successfully ping the Linux box and have been able to turn off (disable) the Linux software firewall (for testing purposes) via the system-config-firewall command. Additionally, I have set SELINUX=disabled.

Unfortunately I am still unable to access the Fedora web server. Can anyone please advise of what I may be missing? Because they are on the same network segment there are no other devices blocking me so I assume I am missing something on the Fedora box directly.

Two other additional notes..

I can telnet port 80 (and 443) from the Linux box directly, but not from the XP machine.

TCPDUMP for port 80. The output is listed below when trying to connect from the Windows PC:
[root@localhost ~]# tcpdump -n port 80
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
14:41:09.615818 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:12.554717 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:18.591447 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
3 packets captured
3 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
[root@localhost ~]#

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14th November 2008, 08:43 AM
jasonsjunk Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
What user is apache running under? Apache? Is there a possible permissions issue? Also you might want to check your router config, as I recall I had to setup port forwarding for my webserver on port 80.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14th November 2008, 02:24 PM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Did alll of that... But I can't even connect to the apache from the local network from a different computer in the same subnet (I can ssh to the computer, though.)
Firewall is disabled on the Linux machine.

However, telnet 10.0.0.6 to port 88 (linux's ip) from 10.0.0.2 (windows machine) does not work. Doing the same from the linux box works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsjunk View Post
What user is apache running under? Apache? Is there a possible permissions issue? Also you might want to check your router config, as I recall I had to setup port forwarding for my webserver on port 80.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14th November 2008, 04:01 PM
neogranas Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 29
Posts: 473
What does your httpd.conf file say for your ServerName and port to listen on? What do you access_logs say, and what happens when you type:
Code:
apachectl configtest
__________________
Registered linux user: #475337

Never underestimate someone with source code, a text editor, and the willingness to completely hose their system.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14th November 2008, 05:13 PM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
response

ServerName says the name of my host (linroj)
in /etc/hosts there is a line
linroj 10.0.0.6

where is the local ip address in the local network.

access_log do not have any entries for the unsuccessful connections.

apachectl configtest says "Syntax OK"

I will mention that the same problem happens with mysql server. it does not happen, however, with ssh... if i could just make apache "Listen" to the port the same way ssh listens to 22, it should work.

thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogranas View Post
What does your httpd.conf file say for your ServerName and port to listen on? What do you access_logs say, and what happens when you type:
Code:
apachectl configtest
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14th November 2008, 05:21 PM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
more info

By the way, tcpdump -n port 88 shows (when doing from 10.0.0.2 telnet 10.0.0.3 88):
/usr/sbin/tcpdump -vv -n port 88
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
11:17:50.408903 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 46, id 35873, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 60) 10.0.0.2.33997 > 10.0.0.6.kerberos: S, cksum 0xd3e7 (correct), 1590529150:1590529150(0) win 5840 <mss 1452,sackOK,timestamp 2671575135 0,nop,wscale 4>

It says kerberos because 88 is usually used for something called kerberos, which i want to use for web. no collisions, though, nothing else listens on 88 and i have no kerberos installed. (it also does not work for mysql which is on 3306 - the usual port.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by roj View Post
ServerName says the name of my host (linroj)
in /etc/hosts there is a line
linroj 10.0.0.6

where is the local ip address in the local network.

access_log do not have any entries for the unsuccessful connections.

apachectl configtest says "Syntax OK"

I will mention that the same problem happens with mysql server. it does not happen, however, with ssh... if i could just make apache "Listen" to the port the same way ssh listens to 22, it should work.

thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14th November 2008, 09:09 PM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
more info

More information - it seems very related to the problem in the following link:
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20419

But I still cannot isolate the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by roj View Post
By the way, tcpdump -n port 88 shows (when doing from 10.0.0.2 telnet 10.0.0.3 88):
/usr/sbin/tcpdump -vv -n port 88
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
11:17:50.408903 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 46, id 35873, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 60) 10.0.0.2.33997 > 10.0.0.6.kerberos: S, cksum 0xd3e7 (correct), 1590529150:1590529150(0) win 5840 <mss 1452,sackOK,timestamp 2671575135 0,nop,wscale 4>

It says kerberos because 88 is usually used for something called kerberos, which i want to use for web. no collisions, though, nothing else listens on 88 and i have no kerberos installed. (it also does not work for mysql which is on 3306 - the usual port.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 15th November 2008, 05:12 AM
roj Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
to alpha1solo

I found what was the problem in my case...
Do something like (as root):

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
## icmp thing - delete it
/sbin/iptables -D INPUT 9


The last command removes the firewall rule:

REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-host-prohibited


make sure it is number 9 in policy INPUT

should work. man iptables for more info.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1solo View Post
I have successfully built a Fedora 9 Linux box and configured Apache2 web service with PHP and Mysql support. I can access my webserver from the Linux machine via localhost, 127.0.0.1, and local LAN IP address (http://172.20.43.70).

I decided at this point before I tackle the DNS, I would try to access the server from a windows XP pro machine on the same subnet (172.20.43.79). This is where I am stuck.

When entering URL http://172.20.43.70 from my XP machine I cannot connect. I can successfully ping the Linux box and have been able to turn off (disable) the Linux software firewall (for testing purposes) via the system-config-firewall command. Additionally, I have set SELINUX=disabled.

Unfortunately I am still unable to access the Fedora web server. Can anyone please advise of what I may be missing? Because they are on the same network segment there are no other devices blocking me so I assume I am missing something on the Fedora box directly.

Two other additional notes..

I can telnet port 80 (and 443) from the Linux box directly, but not from the XP machine.

TCPDUMP for port 80. The output is listed below when trying to connect from the Windows PC:
[root@localhost ~]# tcpdump -n port 80
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
14:41:09.615818 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:12.554717 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
14:41:18.591447 IP 172.20.43.79.navegaweb-port > 172.20.43.70.http: S 2546221123:2546221123(0) win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
3 packets captured
3 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
[root@localhost ~]#

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21st January 2009, 04:15 PM
Isidore Nabi Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 18
It's been a while since I had to do this, but I seem to recall having to open up a control panel to add httpd as a service before I could access the server from other hosts. If I were at the console I could tell you exactly what I did, so write back if you can't figure it out.
__________________
You just can't be too cynical these days.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apache, fedora 9, mysql, web server

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apache and local Directory Min Using Fedora 1 28th July 2009 11:05 AM
Local only network access function151 Servers & Networking 1 27th May 2009 06:30 AM
Local Apache P4rD0nM3 Servers & Networking 6 27th December 2007 04:42 PM
Fed. 4 Local Net OK No internet access jbellis Servers & Networking 3 18th August 2005 04:52 AM
Can't access Apache outside local subnet dingleberry78 Servers & Networking 19 20th September 2004 03:35 PM


Current GMT-time: 03:03 (Tuesday, 23-12-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
...Pantai Festival Jaya Ancol Photos on Instagram - Pasta King Instagram Photos - Tangkoko National Park Photos - The Kookaburra Photos - Tizi-Ouzou, Algeria