Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th October 2008, 12:22 AM
kevaljd Offline

Thumbs up F10 Cambridge

Hello Fedora-users.

I have been using Fedora as my first linux distro after deciding to switch over from the M products and I was fed up with the W and wanted to rename the version as Astala Vista! ;-)
I kept on changing from one distro to another after using F9 Sulphur. But, F9 acted like a true love and I kept on falling back on F9 though I did not like its quiet graphics... It lacks tht YELL and YO!
I am using Acer Aspire 5310 with Fedora. 80 GB hdd, 512 DDR2, Intel chips and atheros wifi..
Initially I had issues with F9 for my dearest wireless and it felt like a cage to be connected through eth0.. However, thanks to madwifi supertechs. I got my wireless working. What was missing? I am a developer and I seek only 3 things.
1. LAMP
2. NetBeans
3. Youtube quickplay music :P

I wanted to stick back to Fedora but fedora 9 was boring me now... I awaited something better and here it comes, my homepage showed Fedora 10 Beta now available.. Quickly, without thinking a word, I clicked on did someone say beta? and then selected my nearest country but here I was confused KDE or GNOME (not again!!!)
I tried KDE initially... Since it is Rawhide, you can never estimate the size of the updated iso. So if people are trying to install on test bases I recommend to use USB flash drive with min 1Gig space, I got 2 Gigs one..
I installed KDE edition... Live was absolutely smooth and to my shock.. EVERY component of my laptop smiled and hugged fedora 10.. I installed it.
I wanted a ZING.. so I installed other distro that claimed to work with everything but mint wasn't my choice after installing.
I decided to go back to F10 with GNOME and lets see if I get a zing... I was disappointed. GNOME version kept showing attitude and not love.. its more than 20 minutes now and my laptop is still awaiting my already clicked signals.. Meanwhile on other laptop am downloading KDE version (again) and writing this post..

If you guys have atheros and Intel chipsets...
I recommend you the following:
1. AHCI - enabled --> You may not notice but ahci is always a good option but not for M.
2. Always test your alsa (sound) if sound works on ANY distro, your computer can hug it.
3. Live may show that wifi works but it maybe because of Ndiswrapper, keep madwifi hal files handy.
4. Fedora 10 - KDE version.

Please reply and let me know, what you guys think about F10

Suspense behind each distro is:
................ tell you later!
Old 27th October 2008, 12:46 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

I've used it off and on since the alpha release. For the last 3 days I've been using Beta exclusively. So far, everything I need is working. No glitches. Rock solid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th October 2008, 01:28 AM
TheIcebreaker Offline

Why do people love KDe so much??
Its unstable at best and is hard and resource hungry on the system.
GNOME on the other hand is rock solid and has everything which a desktop user may want.

I really dont understand that.
Old 27th October 2008, 02:37 AM
kevaljd Offline

Hello TheIceBreaker!

I do understand what you are saying. I am not a KDE guy either. What I meant to say is, particularly about Fedora 10 Cambridge and my experience on acer aspire 5310. GNOME is rock solid and not resource hungry, I agree but at this point of time, when it comes to try something for test purpose, we need to compromise. I don't like this Konqueror, Konsole, etc.. KDE sucks, big time but on Fedora 10, it is the most stable DE, I can decide on my own personal experience. Besides GNOME I found was sluggish. I would like to mention this, One more difference between W and Linux is:
W - Higher the version, higher the resources and higher the memory.
Linux - Higher the version, lower the resources and lower the memory.
KDE 4.0 hangs many a times, My concern was with the hardware, F10 rocked... but with KDE... so am trying to adapt!

By the way, learn to love everything coz all of them are here to make up future, an open future. :-)

Suspense behind each distro is:
................ tell you later!
Old 27th October 2008, 06:49 AM
stefan1975 Offline
"Stefan the converted" -- forum Macintosh® Glee Club leader

Quote:
Higher the version, higher the resources and higher the memory.
you do know that you can just say "microsoft" or "windows", don't you? it is not as if they are dirty words or anything.

Quote:
Linux - Higher the version, lower the resources and lower the memory
that is not neccesarily true, the linux kernel is getting a lot of new features and support for a lot of new hardware devices and while still being pretty fast in its own right i would hardly say that resource useage is declining in new kernel point releases, I have some CentOS 2.4.x kernels running and while ancient i do think they use less resources (but then again back in the 2.4.x days memory was much more expensive).

Quote:
KDE 4.0 hangs many a times, My concern was with the hardware, F10 rocked... but with KDE... so am trying to adapt!
i am actually quite fond of KDE4 since 4.1.2. I am a long time gnome user but since 4.1.1 i am running KDE exclusively and besides GTK weirdness is is rather stable and snappy for me even with compiz-fusion running.

stefan
Browser: Opera 10.10, Safari 4
Registered linux user #459910
Old 27th October 2008, 10:09 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
Why do people love KDe so much??
Its unstable at best and is hard and resource hungry on the system.
GNOME on the other hand is rock solid and has everything which a desktop user may want.

I really dont understand that.
Pretty broad statement there TheIcebreaker. Who exactly is "you people"? You couldn't pay me to use KDE.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th October 2008, 10:53 AM
TheIcebreaker Offline

Ok I havent really tried KDE after my first tryst with it. And the only KDE app I use is amarok and that too not coz of its UI.. The thing is that for me GNOME is better in each and every respect and then too KDE gets all the attention. Its bloated and unstable. Ok my judgement may be a bit biased but I have to say many people do agree with me.

Maybe I should try it sometime again. Maybe it has got better but then there is nothing in it for me to switch away from gnome. Isn't the whole purpose of a desktop is an easy and pleasantful access to other stuff in the system. KDE tries to make everything about itself but on the other hand GNOME just sits their in the background doing its job quietly. Well I could go on and on.

PS:. Does the 4.1.2 release have the required stability.
Old 27th October 2008, 07:48 PM
stefan1975 Offline
"Stefan the converted" -- forum Macintosh® Glee Club leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIcebreaker View Post
PS:. Does the 4.1.2 release have the required stability.
well opinions would vary greatly on that I suppose. I for one think since 4.1.2 KDE is really quite stable and snappy, allright it is no open/fluxbox but not slower then Gnome imho.

For the basic stuff I do with it is is quite fast, stable and looks okay too. I never used KDE3.x so i am not bothered by a functionality regression or anything, i just seem to prefer QT apps more and more like opera-qt, gwenview, dolphin over nautilus, amarok, kopete, etc.

i just had KDE4.1.x crash on me once and that time i was really stressing it with compiz stuff and running VLC.

depends on your mileage i guess. i like new things and lately gnome seems more of the same to me, i mean 2.24 brought me little new stuff, yes tabbed nautilus .... jay! KDE4 is at least fresh even if there are few themes for it still.

stefan
Browser: Opera 10.10, Safari 4
Registered linux user #459910
Old 27th October 2008, 08:06 PM
cloneu2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan1975 View Post
you do know that you can just say "microsoft" or "windows", don't you? it is not as if they are dirty words or anything.
But they ARE dirty words. You just spelled em wrong

micro$oft

windoze

Now I shall ask forgiveness for saying one of Linux Carlins seven dirty words

:eek:-<CloneU2>- :eek: