Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:25 AM
LinUsr@Flanders Offline

Exclamation F8 over the wire

Greetz & UberWellness!!!

Ok, here's a puzzle, perhaps.

I have a server, still runs RH9 (dont giggle) and it needs an upgrade (duh). I have the DVD-disk, so I C-O-U-L-D get to it, were it not that the machine does not have a DVD-reader, but a simple CD-rom reader installed.
There's no cash to do any tinkering, and a new(er) machine is no option. Sorry.

I read somewhere (in my bad old MS days) that NT could be installed via the network. It required a bootstrap on the reveiving PC, that would then be activated and the "sending" PC would then stream everything over the LAN to be installed remotely, in fact, the streaming itself ... was the install...

Of course, I am convinced this can be done in Linux...but I dont know how. Suggestions?

A re-install is possible and has been put that one on the maybe-pile...but is possible.
The hurdle is the DVD player, that IS on annother (lighter) machine, but not on the server.

BTW, call me paranoid (really, go ahead) but I do not think CD/DVD/Floppy/USB/other drives belong in/on/attached-to a server anyway...

Click? Oh yeah!

Thor
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:01 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

As in: a network install, starting with a minimal CD image? You still need the CDROM.
F9 NetInstall CD ISO: http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rel...86-netinst.iso

V
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:03 AM
markkuk Offline

Burn the boot.iso file found on the DVD on a CD-R and you can use it to start a network installation. Run a http or ftp server program on the machine with the DVD drive. It doesn't matter if the machine isn't labeled as "server", as long as it has a network interface and you can install software on it.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:26 AM
LinUsr@Flanders Offline

All-Rite! Coolness!

I'll get right 2 it!

Thanks!

Thor

Tags
challenge, lan, remote install, upgrade