Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 22nd October 2008, 11:08 AM
kosh Offline

Networking - eth0 doesnt' start on boot

Hello.
I have configured device eth0, but it doesn't want to start on boot.
First I noticed, that 'system-config-network' doesn't change files in '/etc/sysconfig' dir. After altering configs with enabling 'ONBOOT=yes' option it still doesn't want to start.
I haven't seen such problems before, is this a bug with init scripts or what?
SSH daemon doesn't start (it is binded to eth0 IP address) too. Is it related with eth0 device?

By the way, 'ifconfig eth0 up' brings eth0 up, but network doesn't work, the only way to activate networking properly is 'ifup eth0'.

Please, help with this!
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:30 PM
briantan Offline

Open a terminal, and do this:

Code:
$ su -
Password: ROOT_PASSWORD
# /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off
# /sbin/chkconfig network on
# /sbin/service NetworkManager stop
# /sbin/service network restart
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:39 PM
kosh Offline

I removed NetworkManager stuff from the system, the service is not running, eth0 is configured not to use NetworkManager too.
And I found out that 'network' service is off on all runlevels:
Quote:
[root@dezinto ~]# /sbin/chkconfig --list|grep network
network 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off
Shame to me I haven't noticed that...
Thanks for the advice!
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:58 PM
briantan Offline

Yes. From F9 and up, NetworkManager is enabled and network service is disabled by default.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:19 PM
bmeeks8 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantan View Post
Yes. From F9 and up, NetworkManager is enabled and network service is disabled by default.
Does anyone know why the Fedora team decided to do this (disable network and go to NetworkManager)?

I'm still learning all the finer details of Fedora, but one thing I noticed on my systems with this change in network behavior is that eth0 does not come up until a user logs into an X-session. Simply booting the box does not bring it up. If you are using Winbind with Active Directory or another authentication mechanism that needs network access to check credentials, then you are "dead in the water".

Turning off NetworkManager and restoring the old network service fixes this problem for me. Is there some trick I'm not aware of to make NetworkManager work in a situation like this where the network is required to process authentication and login requests?
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:43 AM
briantan Offline

I think NetworkManager is supposed to be very easy for noob using Fedora as a desktop OS, especially with Wifi configuration. Much like Windows.

Tags
boot, eth0, networking, start