Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th August 2004, 01:50 AM
simonub11

Red face /dev/usb/lp0 is busy...how do i free it?

First, thank you to all the experts on this forum for your help...i am VERY happy with fedora core 2 and now have it working with all essential hardware (display, modem, audio, palm, etc.) EXCEPT for my horrible winprinter.

I have an HP Laserjet 1000. In Mandrake the printer worked perfectly...all I had to do was put the firmware image (sihp1000.img) in the /etc/printer directory and everything else was taken care of for me.

In FC2 there's a bit more to the procedure, but I've followed the linuxprinting.org instructions and most of it went fine...the printer is now set up and I figure the only thing I need to do to get it working is to upload that firmware. Only problem is, I can't. When I try "cat sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0" i get an error message saying the device or resource is busy. How do I find out what's using it, and then how do I free it up?

I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track though...the driver installation said that by doing the hotplug install (which I did) the firmware would be uploaded to the printer automatically. Linuxprinting.org said a script would do it. But, how can all this happen when the system doesn't even know where the firmware image is? I created an /etc/printer and put it in there, not because I think for one second that this will help, but just because I had to stick it somewhere. If cat sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0 is not the right way to install it, what is?
Old 6th August 2004, 04:06 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

Use lsof to see just what is using the device.

You have to be root to use lsof:
Code:
su -
Then lsof:
Code:
lsof /dev/usb/lp0

Tags
busyhow, free, or dev or usb or lp0