FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation nash receiving SIGSEGV on kernel update

    Nash is blowing up whenever I try to install kernel-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64. I'm new to Fedora (and RPM in general), this came up while updating after initial install. This text comes up if I try from the console, and it will hang until I interrupt it. I've left it running for 20 minutes, and all the spawned processes were sleeping the whole while.

    I really have no idea what to do with this. I've managed to figure out how to reinstall a package (which was needlessly complicated IMO) as such:

    Code:
    sudo rpm -e --nodeps kernel-2.6.26.5.x86_64
    sudo yum update kernel
    When I try that, this is what I end up getting. It hangs until CTRL-C is hit at the end, in which case yum/rpm SAY that it was installed, but there is no initrd in /boot (and who knows what else is missing/wrong)

    Code:
    [draeath@epicenter ~]$ sudo rpm -e --nodeps kernel-2.6.26.5.x86_64
    [draeath@epicenter ~]$ sudo yum update kernel
    Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
    Setting up Update Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.26.5-45.fc9 set to be installed
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    
    Dependencies Resolved
    
    ================================================================================
     Package       Arch          Version                Repository            Size 
    ================================================================================
    Installing:
     kernel        x86_64        2.6.26.5-45.fc9        updates-newkey         19 M
    
    Transaction Summary
    ================================================================================
    Install      1 Package(s)         
    Update       0 Package(s)         
    Remove       0 Package(s)         
    
    Total download size: 19 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    kernel-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64.rpm   |  19 MB     00:31     
    Running rpm_check_debug
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction
      Installing     : kernel                                            [1/1] 
    nash received SIGSEGV!  Backtrace (21):
    /sbin/nash[0x40d093]
    /lib64/libc.so.6[0x7f53c98be2a0]
    /lib64/libc.so.6(realloc+0xe2)[0x7f53c9909352]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x621eee]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x621f95]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nash_list_add+0x2f)[0x6227fe]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x628873]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nash_dev_tree_process_bdev+0x11c)[0x628acb]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x628cfb]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x628e0d]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nash_dev_tree_add_sysfs_dir+0x3e)[0x628c76]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nash_dev_tree_populate_from_sysfs+0x1c)[0x628ea5]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nashBdevIterNewPoll+0x7d)[0x62462a]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52[0x624989]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nashFindFsByUUID+0x24)[0x624b24]
    /usr/lib64/libnash.so.6.0.52(nashAGetPathBySpec+0x73)[0x624c60]
    /sbin/nash[0x4088a1]
    /sbin/nash[0x40cf49]
    /sbin/nash[0x40d576]
    /lib64/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfa)[0x7f53c98aa32a]
    /sbin/nash[0x404509]
    ^Cerror: %post(kernel-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64) scriptlet failed, signal 2
    
    Installed: kernel.x86_64 0:2.6.26.5-45.fc9
    Complete!
    [draeath@epicenter ~]$ ls /boot
    config-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64    efi   initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64.img  System.map-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64    vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64
    config-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64  grub  lost+found                       System.map-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64  vmlinuz-2.6.26.5-45.fc9.x86_64
    Note the 2.6.26 initrd- is not present.

    Help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    /dev/realm/{Abba,Carpenters,...stage}
    Posts
    3,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And who told you rpm -e --nodeps is the proper way to uninstall the kernel ? Try
    Code:
    yum erase
    instead.
    For safer browsing, use OpenDNS nameservers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

    SELinux User Guide

    AutoPager

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend that you should report the error by filing a bug report at Fedora bugzilla against the "nash" package.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is buffer overflow bug, do you have usb connected devices?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    And who told you rpm -e --nodeps is the proper way to uninstall the kernel ? Try
    Code:
    yum erase
    instead.
    Google, because I didn't find that anywhere when I looked, and it didn't show in a search.

    Quote Originally Posted by axet
    that is buffer overflow bug, do you have usb connected devices?
    Yes, a whole bunch, only two (mouse/keyboard) would be required during boot...

    I'll try removing the others. If it still fails then, I'll report it as a bug.
    Last edited by draeath; 18th October 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: consolidating double post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try detach usb flash drivers / firewire harddrives...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    fixed

    That did it!

    Found (and added my resolution details to) bug 443332
    Last edited by draeath; 18th October 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added link to bug

  8. #8
    atrofast Guest
    Greetings,

    I'm having the exact same problem on Fedora 8 updating to kernel 2.6.26.6-49 but I can unplug down to just my keyboard (a Dell branded one) and it still segfaults. Are there any other fixes to this problem?
    Thanks in advance

    Alex

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apply those patch on mkinitrd source:

    diff -ru mkinitrd-6.0.52/bdevid/scsi.c mkinitrd-6.0.52.new/bdevid/scsi.c
    --- mkinitrd-6.0.52/bdevid/scsi.c 2008-04-25 19:24:00.000000000 +0400
    +++ mkinitrd-6.0.52.new/bdevid/scsi.c 2008-10-05 02:48:35.000000000 +0400
    @@ -379,7 +379,7 @@
    if (priv->unique_id_83)
    return 0;

    - if (!(priv->unique_id_83 = calloc(page_83[3] + 1, sizeof (char))))
    + if (!(priv->unique_id_83 = calloc(2 * (page_83[3] + 1), sizeof (char))))
    return 1;

    #if 0



    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=440661

  10. #10
    atrofast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by axet
    apply those patch on mkinitrd source:

    diff -ru mkinitrd-6.0.52/bdevid/scsi.c mkinitrd-6.0.52.new/bdevid/scsi.c
    --- mkinitrd-6.0.52/bdevid/scsi.c 2008-04-25 19:24:00.000000000 +0400
    +++ mkinitrd-6.0.52.new/bdevid/scsi.c 2008-10-05 02:48:35.000000000 +0400
    @@ -379,7 +379,7 @@
    if (priv->unique_id_83)
    return 0;

    - if (!(priv->unique_id_83 = calloc(page_83[3] + 1, sizeof (char))))
    + if (!(priv->unique_id_83 = calloc(2 * (page_83[3] + 1), sizeof (char))))
    return 1;

    #if 0



    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=440661
    Thank you axet, that did the trick.

    Alex

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Age
    48
    Posts
    4,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting the same errors, only in my case detaching USB devices does not do the trick (maybe because the onboard sound device is USB based?), I'll try disabling it from the BIOS and try again (though somehow I doubt it will do any good)
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

    FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

  12. #12
    Aaron222 Guest
    axet's patch works in my case. Thank you man.

    Linux Archive
    Last edited by Aaron222; 9th November 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. nash sigfault (receiving SIGSEGV!) on boot
    By elekt in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th May 2009, 12:40 AM
  2. nash crashed while updating kernel... Under F8
    By Thetargos in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th October 2008, 12:33 PM
  3. /bin/nash error with kernel-2.6.25.14-108
    By saa_1973 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th August 2008, 07:55 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th April 2008, 08:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •