Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 16th October 2008, 04:58 AM
crossz Offline

Unhappy how to find and remove packages installed by dependency

Simple example:

if I want to install A using yum, yum prompted me B and C will be installed for the dependency reason.
I agreed.

When I removed A, yum just removed A , without mentioning B and C.

In this case, how can I find packages or libraries like B and C ??
In ubuntu, apt-get autoremove will automatically remove B and C. how about fedora?

Thanks.

Cross.
=========================
my blog: http://crossonline.blogspot.com
Old 16th October 2008, 05:16 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Closest thing I can think of is yum-utils. You can run:
package-cleanup --leaves [--all] to find library [OR all] packages with no dependents, then remove them - manually. Problem is: just because a package has no deps, doesn't mean it's useless.

V
Old 16th October 2008, 09:50 AM
crossz Offline

sure. you are right. no dependency doesn't mean useless.
I tried package-clean with all of its switches. the output includes some packages i still need and none of the swithes call find out what I need.

for example. just install ccsm( for compiz setting). yum prompt you to install another 2 packages. now remove ccsm, while yum just will just remove ccsm, leaving those 2 packages untouched.

in this case. the /root will be larger and larger with more and more useless packages. while debia's apt can solve this very smartly, but apt in fedora can not.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:12 AM
Mcklaren Offline

I've the mismatch problem but with filezilla package, yum install filezilla, install filezilla and 4 dependencies packages more and when i go to uninstall the filezilla package with yum remove filezilla, this only uninstall filezilla but not the dependencies packages. Any can help with any solution for this.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:14 AM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Problem is: just because a package has no deps, doesn't mean it's useless.
Yes!
maybe, i think one way to improve RPMs, would be to add one flag inside the RPM itself. Something like "EndUserApplication: yes", so when you run "package-cleanup --leaves --all" you could look at all packages except those that are usual to don't become dependencies of other software (like openoffice). So, you would find only unused libs and not end-user software in your list.

bye!
Old 16th October 2008, 01:17 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Guys: I wish I had a better answer, and if someone else does, I hope that they'll share it here. The best that I know of at the moment is to run package-cleanup --leaves. The list actually isn't that long, and you can <SIGH> manually review each package to determine if it's OK to remove or not. I'm sure that I've got a few truly "useless" packages left, but there can't be that many.

@bee: Actually, that sounds like a good idea to me, I like it. Perhaps you should file a bug report/feature request at bugzilla.redhat.com requesting this feature. If you do, others can add comments and votes to back up your request - the more people who comment/vote for it, the better the chance to get it. At the very least, you should get a good answer as to why it's not possible/needed, and maybe even advice on a a better alternative....

Good Luck,
V
Old 16th October 2008, 02:54 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Yeah!! i think it too!
I posted it here!
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=467225

unlucky with so much hurry now, i didn't have wrote it so good; but i hope they'll understand...

bye!
Old 16th October 2008, 03:11 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yeah!! i think it too!
I posted it here!
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=467225

unlucky with so much hurry now, i didn't have wrote it so good; but i hope they'll understand...

bye!
Looks good to me. And it drew a quick and vicious reply. I added a comment.

V
Old 16th October 2008, 05:49 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I would not call that reply vicious? I think it was a legitimate question not asked with any anger.

And, all kidding aside--I know you sometimes worry about this sort of thing, but don't take it as somethng very important--I would have added a smilely after your comment, which seemed more angry than the one to which you replied.

I repeat, don't take my words as gospel here, I don't think either reply to bee's Feature request fell under the category of fighting words, just that I thought your reply was a bit more short tempered than the Vince we know and love.
Old 16th October 2008, 07:33 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler View Post
Looks good to me. And it drew a quick and vicious reply. I added a comment.

V
Thank you, i haven't really get what was the Ignacio's question about; but i've posted one answer anyway lol

bye!
Old 16th October 2008, 10:58 PM
crossz Offline

simply speaking. what is needed is just the same function as the following command existing in ubuntu:

'apt-get autoremove'

this will remove those packages installed due to dependency.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:08 PM
crossz Offline

a sad clue from here "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue100#Yum_Reverse_Dependency_Removal".....
<SIGH>

3 years ago, I left fedora core to ubuntu because ubuntu need support; this month, I returned because fedora now need more supporters. But first impression is this disadvantage....down, down, down......
Old 16th October 2008, 11:29 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Looks like the idea is not new: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.rpm.yum.devel/632
but work on the plugin ceased 17 months ago: http://git.dangerouslyinc.com/egregious-remove

Not sure I'm game to try that code after all this time. Maybe. Might post the links on the bugreport for reference....

V
Old 16th October 2008, 11:37 PM
crossz Offline

Done....haha.

as mentioned in my previous post. there is a plugin in development.

BBBBBut, it has been released. the name of it is 'yum-remove-with-leaves'.

Howto?!
just
Quote:
yum install yum-remove-with-leaves
then test it.
Quote:
yum install ccsm
3 packages will be installed, maybe more or less, depending on what packaged you have installed previously.

then remove it, you will find the other 2 packages will be removed as well. This is different before installing that lugin.
Old 16th October 2008, 11:43 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

It's in the stable updates repo. So the plugin already exists and works. Nice.

Wish we'd known about this before.... I don't feel too bad though - neither did the guy at bugzilla.

V

EDIT: Hm. This plug-in may need a little work: I ran a general system update after installing it, and it wanted to remove a pile of stuff that it called "leaves", but the transaction failed because they were required by other packages.

Last edited by Hlingler; 17th October 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Tags
dependency, installed, packages, remove