Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th October 2008, 04:35 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Question Three problems with Fedora 8 in the Acer Aspire One

Hello everybody.

Just yesterday I bought my Acer Aspire One, the Linux version of course, and after several hours customizing it I almost have it exactly as I want.

For starters I'll say that I choose to keep the bundled customized Fedora 8 version (aka Linpus; although the questions here are not Linpus specific feel free to move this to some other forum if this is not appropriate) and just adjust it to my needs mainly by unlocking some features and carefully installing some programs. I'll summarize the problems/questions I currently have:
  1. How can I change the gdm theme 'by hand'? Which files do I have to edit? I ask this because I stopped the default automatic login in the AAO, and now I see the usual F8's GDM Login window. I only want to change the theme to another one. GDM's config gui, although installed refuses to load (gdmsetup),
  2. Since I don't like the default music player (too big) I installed XMMS. The problem here is that I can not access its menus, well I can but they are sort of unreadable (with rare characters and empty spaces). How can I fix this? Is some library needed? If I can sort this out I'd avoid installing Amarok.
  3. I also installed several multimedia applications like VLC, Xine, and Kafffeine. I also installed all the codecs I know of, but I can not watch AVI video files encoded with Xvid (Xine told me it didn't have support for Xvid). One I have encoded with DivX plays just fine, but the others just the sound. What do I need to do, or install here? The same files play just well in my other laptop with Fedora 8 x86_64.

Thanks.
Joe.

Tags
acer, aspire, fedora, problems