Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 12th October 2008, 09:48 AM
satyajit.r Offline

Launchers for Linux I - GnomeDO

When I started using Linux I was amazed by the way I could tweak my system. I love to have my system unique. The days I used windows I had the task bar on the left side and did a lot of other stuffs. I liked the OS X look and thus installed kiba-dock, avant-window-manager and cairo-dock. All of them very brilliant and in many ways beats the Mac dock too. But I wanted more. And thus started my search and eventually found GnomeDO.

GnomeDO is a Launcher that may strike to be very different from the normal mac clones and others. The functionality of this one beats the others.

Launching GnomeDO is simple just press <Super>+space and you would get a small window as this one:
GnomeDo Screen shot I

Starting applications can be a cup cake. If you want to launch firefox typing web or fir and pressing enter would launch firefox
Gnome Do Screen shot II

A very similar approach could be done for various other applications, in fact all applications. Playing music is very simple, type the artist name or the album name and it would be queued into the playlist.
GnomeDO Screen shot III

Opening folders can be fun. I have a folder named file. If I type file the folder pops up and I can navigate through the sub folders and open files from there.
GnomeDo Screen shot IV

Shutting down, logging off restarting and various other session tasks can be done too:
GnomeDO Screen shot V

These are just the basic options. You can send a mail to the users in your contacts provided you have them in evolution, send messages to the buddies in pidgin and many more. To add more they have an option to install plugins. Plugins can be found here. To install plugins just download the .dll files into ~/.local/share/gnome-do/plugins directory and restart GnomeDO (execute pkill gnome-do in a terminal).

For configuration and installation look here.

The GnomeDO is an excellent launcher. For those who don’t like to copy the mac and use more of the keyboard, this is one alternative. You can find their home page here.
Old 18th October 2008, 03:22 AM
esnc Offline
Banned

Michale Quoc,
Thanks your post