Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th September 2008, 03:35 PM
FedorLinu Offline

after upgrading kernel, how to safely remove the old one

Hi, i would like to know to safely remove an old kernel version after upgrading the system to a new one. I did the same way i use to do on Debian, the problem is that it deleted both kernels in the system though.

In debian I use the download manager to delete it:

# apt-get remove --purge kernel-2.6.xx-xx

I tried to delete the old kernel in Fedora using yum (yum remove) but it deleted both (the old and the new one) . I'm new using Fedora, and i assume i did it wrong.
So , i had to use the DVD installation to install the old kernel again and then update the kernel. Now I have both new and old one, hoping to get rid of the old and leave only the new kernel.

Any help?

p.s: my English is not that good, so I'm sorry any mistake

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2008, 03:48 PM
johno12345 Offline

as default yum leaves current + previous installed, this is to ensure that if you have any problems with current you always have one to fall back on.
Old 29th September 2008, 04:02 PM
thom12 Offline

To list installed kernels:

rpm -qa | grep ^kernel

To uninstall:

rpm -e --allmatches kernel-xyz.rpm

For more rpm <options> see:

man rpm
Old 29th September 2008, 05:28 PM
JohnVV Offline

do not remove the old kernel.If you end up having a problem with the new one you will be forced to reinstall fedora .The option to boot from the old kernel will be gone .
BUT this is your computer do what you want!

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 29th September 2008, 06:43 PM
FedorLinu Offline

Thanks fellas for the fast reply.

After your advices i'll keep it for awhile.
Old 29th September 2008, 07:02 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedorLinu

After your advices i'll keep it for awhile.
Actually, you should forget all about it. It will be removed automatically when you have accumulated the maximum number of kernels set by the value of installonly_limit in /etc/yum.conf. Nowadays, the default is 3. That means once you have updated the kernel enough times to have three installed, from then on the oldest one will be removed automatically after future kernel updates. Your grub.conf and the GRUB menu also are adjusted automatically for you. You are allowed to edit /etc/yum.conf and change the value of installonly_limit up or down. But I recommend leaving it alone at 2 or 3. Too many old kernels is a pointless waste of disk space. And no old kernels at all is asking to be locked out of your system someday when a new kernel comes along and busts the wheels off of it.

Last edited by stoat; 29th September 2008 at 09:26 PM.

Tags
kernel, remove, safely, upgrading