Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2004, 10:48 PM
dormant44 Offline

modem solution wanted

i'm trying to use fedora core 2 kermel version 2.6.5-1.386 on acer travelmate 280 laptop. the problem is universal. it does not have modem driver(agere systems AC'97 win modem). plese help me. bye the way. it finds the apropriate modem controller. does it mean anything?
Old 1st August 2004, 10:55 PM
merith Offline

run the scanmodem utility for windows based modems. It can be found here. http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
this should at least tell you if the system can find the modem and you can then configure /etc/wvdial.conf which is used by the graphical network interface.....
Old 5th August 2004, 01:53 PM
cavedweller Offline

I have a Toshiba a10-s1291 intel chipset AC'97 modem. I ran scanmodem on it . It found the modem and everything, but the log file Identified it as unsupported. So I went and bought a 3com 3CXM756 pcmcia modem. It worked right out of the box. It was around $190 US when I bought it a little spendy.

There are cheaper ones that will probably work just as good but I liked some of the features on it, Cellular and Global GMS which I will probably never use, but they are there. I have since then had my wings cut by my wife on computer spending at least for now. As I had spent over $3000 building and upgrading the systems we have in a six month period. So now everything I get is for the laptop so I can hide it in the case.

I have purchase a few pc card modems for various customers and you can pick them up off of places like newegg.com for around $50.00. Just make sure it isn't a win modem. I know it isn't as conveniant as using the one in the system but FC2's Hotplugging seems to work just fine.

Good Luck

Last edited by cavedweller; 5th August 2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 5th August 2004, 03:14 PM
Seikeinfrosch Offline

Modem Installation

Hi!

I own a TravelMate 653. And here we go: Install the kernel development packages (you need this to compile the driver).

Download the newest (2.9.9) driver: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

Unpack it and (please) read the README. Follow the instructions.

Copy the slmodem script to /etc/init.d

Activate it for runlevel 5 (graphical environment) using: RedHat Menu -> System Configuration -> Server -> Services (Maybe you have to insert a service "slmodem" first by using the menu).

Add a modem based network connection using the Fedora "Internet Configuration Wizard". Make sure you use /dev/SLtty0. Now we should be ready... You can activate it even from the command line "ifup ppp0" (if this is the name) - it's like a network device.

Personally, I use the "Modem lights" applet by Gnome to activate and deactivate the modem connection (It's faster than using the Fedora "Network Control" program.) Please make sure you set the lock file from ttyS0 to ttySL0 - otherwise it's not possible to dial. If you have an account named otherwise than ppp0 than change it accordingly.

Bye,

Christoph

PS: Sorry I'm not sure if all these steps are right, I'm at work.

Tags
modem, solution, wanted