Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th September 2008, 10:40 PM
LDC Offline

Easynote J51 just defeated....(see inside) in a row

First thing I did once came home was of course to remove winblows Vista, so I need to choose which linux distro to install:

1) my first choice was of course Fedora: tried 9 i386, it partially work (didn't recognize correctly the display settings, letting me choose between 800x600 and 640x480.... on a 17" 1440x900 that cannot be tolerated)
2) then Fedora 10 rawhide 64bit: fail, it doesn't reach even the first stage of install process
3) then Fedora 10 i386: fail, same as the former
4) then old dear Lenny: fail to start in GUI mode

stay tuned to discover new failures

Linux Registered User #476391
Old 18th September 2008, 12:24 AM
LDC Offline

Linux Mint: Flawless Victory!!!!

omg I can't believe it went THAT smooth :|

btw, it wasn't able to have the display running correctly but provided an (optional) automatic download for the "proprietary NVidia drivers". Of course they works as a charm....

currently I am using "Elyssa Fluxbox RC1" (I thought it would've been fair to compare "testing" distros, this is considered the most "bleeding edge" amongst Mint rel)

Wireless NOT working, I will further enquire about bridging native winblows drivers.

Stay tuned

Old 20th September 2008, 01:35 PM
LDC Offline

here again :P
Mint is good, even too good: it is boring.
So, I wiped it out and went back to fedora9: after an epic battle, I managed to have even wireless working (I am writing from the laptop, connected in wifi right now), and that's probably a major improvement of the latest kernel available (currently 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686) and Network Manager.

The last thing I need to fix is the screen resolution, which at least should raise to 1280x1024....

btw if you are planning to buy an Easynote JS51 and wondering if it will work with Fedora, well: definitely

Tags
defeatedsee, easynote, inside, j51, row