Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th August 2008, 04:46 PM
weave Offline

Question Fresh FC9 Install Fails

Hi All,

Let me start by saying yes.... I did read other posts about this problem but I'm still really lost at solving this problem and getting on with the install. There's a number of installs available and what I downloaded was the 6 cd disks.

Fedora 9 Fresh Install - "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root ...

The system has FC8 installed on it and when I check out my volumes the physical shows a /dev/sda

How do I change the boot to use my settings ? When the boot screen comes up I can hit the tab key to edit the line vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img. Is it there I can specify what dev to use ?

Totally lost....
Old 28th August 2008, 05:39 PM
weave Offline

As it turned out the CD's from Fedora web site's direct download for Ontario residents takes you to a cogeco cable FTP site who's CD's are NFG!!!!!! Should have checked the shalsum before banging my head against the wall like I did. Pick another mirror and they'll probably work.
Old 29th August 2008, 01:56 PM
stoat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave

As it turned out the CD's from Fedora web site's direct download for Ontario residents takes you to a cogeco cable FTP site who's CD's are NFG!!!!!! Should have checked the shalsum before banging my head against the wall like I did. Pick another mirror and they'll probably work.
Hello weave,

Actually, you should always verify the SHA-1 hash of any large downloaded file whenever a comparison hash is available. It doesn't really matter what server the file came from. Those hashes are intended for verifying the integrity of the electronically transmitted data as you received it; not the quality of the file on the server. But I guess verifying the SHA-1 hash could also accomplish that at the same time. But to do that aspect of it really right, you should also verify the gpg key of the SHA1SUM file, too. If the SHA1SUM file's gpg signature verifies, and the hash that it contains matches the hash generated by the downloaded file, then whatever is wrong is not related to the integrity (or lack of it) of the downloaded file.

Anyway, I hope you return and tell if you got it installed.
Old 29th August 2008, 02:25 PM
weave Offline

Hi stoat,

Yes the disks did manage to install but there was a couple of hickups which leads me to decide to forget about checking out FC9 and wait for 10.

(1) Verify disks randomly failed.

(2) Initial boot after install completes hangs after enabling /etc/fstab.

Appreciate the advise just the same but a little disappointed with this build.

thanks,

Tags
fails, fc9, fresh, install