Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 10 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 21st August 2008, 04:03 AM
MarcoA Offline

Problems with Synaptics touchpad

I have Problems with Synaptics touchpad, it doesn't recognize the click" touch.
The first time I started Fedora, in the sesion login window, the touchpad worked perfectly, but something happened that some functions were disabled after the first login.
I have read that It is necessary to set MaxTapTime to about 180 and MaxTapMove to 75 in the "X config file".
The big question is (sorry for my ignorance) WHAT FILE IS IT, where can I find it.

Best Regards
Old 21st August 2008, 04:38 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

"X config file" = /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add those 'Options' to the 'Section "InputDevice" ' for the touchpad.

V
Old 21st August 2008, 05:36 AM
MrFreddy Offline

Hi MarcoA,

try this it worked for me on Asus M51SN series

Enable tapping on Synaptec touchpad

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=439386#c66

> And for the ones too lazy to rebuild I've placed the fixed synaptics package in
> ATrpms' testing area or you can get it directly from
>
> http://atrpms.net/dist/f9/synaptics/
>

Just installed the http://dl.atrpms.net/all/synaptics-0...fc9.x86_64.rpm
provided by Axel Thimm, and it was great.
If you run 32-bit version of Fedora the get this one http://dl.atrpms.net/all/synaptics-0...8.fc9.i386.rpm

Just added this section to the
'xorg.conf':

Edit:

This worked on F9. I am not sure if they released the package for F10. They do have source rpm if that is any help to you.

<<
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "Synaptics"
Identifier "TouchPad"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection
>>

Last edited by MrFreddy; 21st August 2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Misread the topic
Old 23rd August 2008, 08:41 PM
LordMorgul Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoA
I have Problems with Synaptics touchpad, it doesn't recognize the click" touch.
One thing that can 'disable' touch clicks is having the 'edges' of the touchpad being too far out, or too big for the actual touchpad dimensions. If the size is not set correctly then the touchpad will start doing alot of odd things, but won't click.

Keep the edge dimensions (set by options in xorg.conf) to about 80 or 100 smaller on all sides than the actual touchpad size. You can probably find examples of xorg.conf for your laptop model that give the right sizes for yours.

No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer
Old 23rd August 2008, 09:18 PM
MarcoA Offline

Thanks for your replies to all of you.
In the xorg.conf file, I have currently a section called InputDevice, like the one proposed by MrFreddy, Which is the syntax to "add" this device to the existing section?
Old 25th August 2008, 06:32 PM
twilightomni Offline

I have another voice to add to this discussion:

While configuring via xorg.conf is possible... (by the way, please read "man synaptics" from the Terminal or command line for the possible options) xorg.conf seems to conflict with HAL's (the Linux Hardware Abstraction Library, which auto-configures most hardware now) autodetection of your touchpad.

So while your touchpad should work decently once you get it working through xorg.conf, there may still be a glitch or two. For more information on configuring your touchpad through HAL instead of through xorg.conf, please see the following thread.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=194784

And check my first post. It links to the bug report which describes your problem -- tapping doesn't work -- and explains why all these other problems with Fedora's synpatics drivers are occurring. The reason why is because XOrg is currently transitioning from xorg.conf to using HAL for device configuration.

At any rate, you still need the options to configure synaptics. From the manual page, I prefer using

TapButton1
RBCornerButton
Emulate3Buttons

These options are very useful, and enable tapping, as well as right-clicking by using the bottom-right corner of the touchpad. Please see the Synaptics manual for how to use these options.

(If you don't know how to open a terminal, in GNOME or KDE, type Alt+F2, then type "gnome-terminal" for GNOME or "konsole" for KDE. Then try the "man synaptics" command to read the synaptics manual).

I recommend you read the thread I posted above, since the pages I've linked seem to really explain all the problems with Synaptics right now.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:27 AM
wvn Offline

When i follow the steps above, X crashes and i end up with terminal screen
Old 28th August 2008, 07:45 AM
LordMorgul Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvn
When i follow the steps above, X crashes and i end up with terminal screen
When X crashes you will have useful information in the log file, found at /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Post (as an attachment) that file, or at least all lines beginning with (EE) and maybe the problem can be fixed for you.

No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer

Tags
problems, synaptics, touchpad