Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th August 2008, 01:43 AM
martypants Offline

boot options to run level 3?

Like a dumbass, I let the latest updates in and the kernel was update without a new Nvidia driver with it. Now my system boots to a scrambled screen when it goes to run level 5.

Is there an grub option I can use to have it boot to run level 3 so I can edit the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf?

Unless I can get to a command line, my system is unusable. I can't edit any files, so whatever options there are for me must be at the grub boot level.
Old 16th August 2008, 01:56 AM
vallimar Offline

Yes, when grub pops up, press a key to reveal the "hidden" menu. Press "a" for append on the desired kernel, on that commandline tack on the numeral "3" at the end, you will boot into runlevel 3.
Old 16th August 2008, 02:45 AM
stevea Online

Right - but he may be able to <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> and get to a virt console. May not work if the vga is scrambled.
Old 16th August 2008, 03:08 AM
martypants Offline

adding the '3' to the boot worked. Thanks!

Just for fun, I tried the <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> thing - no worky worky.

Thanks for the help. I'm back in Fedora now and waiting impatiently for an Nvidia driver to match my kernel
Old 16th August 2008, 03:37 AM
Zotter Offline

Uh, as a curiosity - what happens if you choose the previous kernel in GRUB?
Registered Linux user #227845
Old 16th August 2008, 03:49 AM
martypants Offline

I would have thought that would work, too. In fact, that was the first thing I tried. Same thing, though - scrambled video. Not sure why the old kernel with the old nvidia driver would scramble video, but it did.

Despite issues like this that sometimes crop up, I still love Fedora and hate Windows, although I keep it around for when things break.

Tags
boot, level, options, run