Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th August 2008, 12:40 AM
crainey69 Offline

nvidia.ko error after 2.6.25.14.108 kernel update F9

Hi,

I've been watching the forum all day thinking someone else may have this problem but, haven't seen anything and did a couple of searches and found nothing.

Last night, I updated via yum and got a new kernel and kmod-nvidia packages along with a bunch of other stuff. Now, x will not start with Nvidia drviver.

It reports that it can't find nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.25.14.108

Anyone? Leigh?

Thanks

Cory
Old 14th August 2008, 01:06 AM
ValHolla Offline

I have the same issue. I am have a HP dv9000 series laptop with a Geforce 6150 Go video card.
I reverted back to the .97 kernel until I find the drivers.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:07 AM
marko Offline

The matching nvidia package for 2.6.25.14.108 isn't on livna yet,
it does seem to be a bit longer than it usually takes...
Old 14th August 2008, 01:11 AM
crainey69 Offline

Thanks guys!

I'll be patient. I'm back on the previous kernel myself for now. I was just surprised that no one else had posted anything about it on the forums today. Thought it was just me

Cory
Old 14th August 2008, 02:19 AM
PatMcLJr Offline

me too on f8
the duel head loses a monitor when this happens.
it has been getting better though

Pat Jr
Pat Jr.
Old 14th August 2008, 02:39 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Hello:

You should be able to avoid these problems and delays by installing the matching akmod-nvidia package for your driver version & architecture (e.g., akmod-nvidia-173.14.12-2.lvn9.i686.rpm), which will build the kmod for you. You will also need the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages to match the new kernel, in order for akmod to build the kmod. May require a manual command to start the build - not sure on that part:
akmods --kernels <kernel-version-and-release-number>

Not available for F8.

V
Old 14th August 2008, 02:58 AM
ValHolla Offline

Hlingler:

Thank you for the reminder about akmod, I was running x64 on my laptop, but got fed up with the incompatibility issues... I re-installed i386 and didn't install akmod. installing akmod-nvidia worked beautifully
Old 14th August 2008, 03:21 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

@ PatMcLJr:

I have evaded this problem on F8 by downloading and re-building the FreshRPMs SRPM of the F9 driver package: nvidia-x11-drv using 'rpmbuild'. That SRPM package (and RPMs built from it) appears to be missing library(ies) libwfb.so*, but that lib seems "optional" (??). In any case, the driver performs acceptably here. Nor does FreshRPMs have the latest driver version, but a quick read of the changelog reveals no impact on my chipset.

Requires all of the usual build/development tools, plus dkms, kernel-devel, kernel-headers, rpmbuild, etc., etc., etc. YMMV.

V
Old 14th August 2008, 03:40 AM
brebs Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
appears to be missing library(ies) libwfb.so*, but that lib seems "optional" (??).
Depends which nvidia video card is being used.
Old 14th August 2008, 04:51 AM
crainey69 Offline

Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlingler
Hello:

You should be able to avoid these problems and delays by installing the matching akmod-nvidia package for your driver version & architecture (e.g., akmod-nvidia-173.14.12-2.lvn9.i686.rpm), which will build the kmod for you. You will also need the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages to match the new kernel, in order for akmod to build the kmod. May require a manual command to start the build - not sure on that part:
akmods --kernels <kernel-version-and-release-number>

Not available for F8.

V
Thank you, that fixed it! Only concern I have now. Will everything update automatically in the future as it has in the past?

Only other issue I have right now is that I have to rebuild vmware with every kernel update. Actually another thread in itself but if anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated. Currently running Windows Xp (from an actual previous install), CentoOS5.2, Ubuntu (latest whatever), and F10 Alpha (after a lot of effort) as virtual machines.

Cory

Edit: More info: just used yum to install akmod-nvidia and had to go through a rebuild process at reboot. but it did it all on its own. Told me what I needed to do, and I followed prompts.

Last edited by crainey69; 14th August 2008 at 04:57 AM. Reason: more information
Old 14th August 2008, 05:00 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainey69
Thank you, that fixed it! Only concern I have now. Will everything update automatically in the future as it has in the past?
Yes, of course - assuming that you have the Livna repo enabled and automatic updates on (or, do the updates manually often enough).

I personally know nothing about VMWare/VBox/virtualization etc.

Glad that worked for you.

V

P.S. I see that you don't have to build the kmod manually - if one isn't found laying around at boot time, then one is built on-the-spot....

Last edited by Hlingler; 14th August 2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 14th August 2008, 07:09 AM
marcosaluzzo Offline

Hi all,

I am experiencing the exact problems described here. I yum updated the kernel version to 2.6.25.14-108 and on the next boot I had problems with the nvidia.ko driver, just like when I first installed F9 x86_64 - blank screen or automatically reboots. Luckily I had been there before so I took me a matter of minutes to sort out the problem.

However I want to add that it doesn't always crash with kernel version. I find 50% of the time I log in through the GUI mode with no problem.

ASUS Nvidia EN8800GT 512mb
Intel S.775 Asus P5K SE/EPU
Old 14th August 2008, 03:43 PM
ValHolla Offline

The only thing I have found using akmod, is it takes me "2" reboots after upgrading the kernel module.

the first reboot, fails to load the nvidia.ko module, then a short time later in the boot sequence it "builds" the module. after the build it fails to load. upon second reboot, the newly built module loads without issue.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:05 PM
null_pointer_us Offline

Yep, same here.

Shouldn't the akmods check be earlier in the boot process than the nvidia.ko load script?
Old 14th August 2008, 09:16 PM
brebs Offline
Banned

It is xorg that uses the nvidia kernel module, and modprobes it if nvidia is set in xorg.conf

Sounds like the nvidia recompilation is occurring after xorg is started, which is of course in the wrong order

I use this little script in rc.local, which has the advantage that people can see what's going on

Tags
error, kernel, nvidiako, update