Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th August 2008, 10:22 AM
triggz Offline

Scrambled video then green screen at install menu

I'm trying to install Fedora9 on my [very] old Gateway Solo 2550. It's a 433mhz laptop but it ran XP pro just fine. It has a DVD drive upgrade and I'm using the Fedora-9-i386-DVD which checked alright on the sha1sum.

Whenever it gets to the second screen with the install options, it will display scrambled for a split second then go solid bright green. It seems that pressing keys still works but I cant see anything. I was able to complete the text install, but I still cant bring up xterm or even x config in setup.

Is it likely that my hardware is just too old or unsupported?
Old 12th August 2008, 10:29 AM
Wayne

It's probably choking on the video hardware... Probably even the Vesa driver can't handle it... and you may not even have enough system memory either. Minimum for a graphical install is 256Mb..

Graphics controller SMI Lynx EM4 video graphic accelerator

Video memory 4 MB SGRAM

You could try one of the "light-weight" distros like Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux.

Wayne
Old 12th August 2008, 10:38 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

Hi a little off topic here , but the other week i was trying to install f9 on someones machine, had similar ish (is there such a word ) and the problem was they were using a flat tv screen as a monitor, couldnt even view the bios, threw me for a while till i realised, had to use a live cd to install, but to your problem, try using text mode install, and then a live cd if it doesnt work, if possible.

PS.Your specs are rather on the low side, it may not be possible
Old 12th August 2008, 11:11 PM
triggz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
It's probably choking on the video hardware... Probably even the Vesa driver can't handle it... and you may not even have enough system memory either. Minimum for a graphical install is 256Mb..

Graphics controller SMI Lynx EM4 video graphic accelerator

Video memory 4 MB SGRAM

You could try one of the "light-weight" distros like Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux.

Wayne
I forgot to mention it has 256mb ram as an upgrade as well. When it detects at installation startup the video it says SM710 LynxEM, then goes scrambled and green screen.

How can I insert my video configuration without it attempting to launch it itself? As soon as I hit X Configuration in the Setup menu it goes green on me. I do have it installed completely as text-only.

Last edited by triggz; 12th August 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Tags
green, install, menu, scrambled, screen, video