Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2004, 08:35 PM
jacob0709 Offline

Talking My interesting story with linux and windows.

i WAS a windows maniac. i mean, if you grew up in a world surrounded by the army of mr gates, it's pretty difficult to make a jump to another OS.

until a couple of months ago when i decided to give linux a try. at least i could always use dual booting, that's what i thought.

then suddenly, my windows crashed. i had to reinstall it but i found that the cd was badly scratched-thanks to my cat.

so i made a big jump to linux. after trying and searching the right distros, i found fedora 2. which just got me hooked up so fast. even when i try mandrake, the so called "user friendly linux distro" i still found fedora the best.

then a couple of weeks ago my sister bought a new windows cd. so i decided to install windows again. why?? because i miss running programs with ease and not much of a hassle like linux.

well, probably i still do miss that simplicity that windows offers eventhough i hate buying those softwares again.

but when i tried to install windows, something weird happened. after the partitioning and setup folder copying, my comp just wouldn't boot. it keeps saying "error loading OS" which just pissed me off.

i was sitting in front of my comp for 3 days and almost 3 nights. my head was spinning and my eyes are just sore. that was when i decided that i'll just stick to linux forever. but then, after i reinstalled linux, i just couldn't keep my eyes off the windows cd. so i tried it again.

this time, i forgot to format the primary HD which i already have linux on and tried to install windows on my secondary HD. of course it wouldn't work. i kept getting a message that it needed a partition in the primary HD.

i was so tired that i unconsciusly deleted the swaap partition for windows installation and it WORKED!!!

geez, i mean i'd tried clean installation and everything i could think of but this little accident just sorted all up. after 3 days and 3 nights without sleeping now i'm ready again.

i just need to install firewall, antivirus, office, etc etc etc.

i just realized what a pain in the ass windows is. i mean with linux it's all there, everything is sorted out when you install it. the office firewall and etc.

should i go back to linux completely or should i just stick with dual OS.

well the first thing is to get some sleep.

ZZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzZz..................
Old 24th July 2004, 08:40 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

well if u can live without windows apps, do a dual boot, i still use windows sometimes for application such as 3dsmax, beside that i go back to my penguin

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 24th July 2004, 08:43 PM
superbnerd

well since youre a newbie, i'd suggest keeping the dual boot until you are comefertable with the learning curve linux has. then, if you aren't dependent on windows-only apps you should make a clean break from mr gate's prison camp.
Old 24th July 2004, 09:06 PM
ilja Offline

I would make a dual-boot, but that it is more comfortable to boot into linux (default linux and not windows in the bootmanager)
Old 24th July 2004, 10:48 PM
jacob0709 Offline

i think you guys missunderstand me. i still use linux, as a matter of fact, i use linux as a main OS now.

loving it.

why i use windows?? cause my webcam is crappy chinese made one which will only work on windows and my girlfriend who is miles away from me is asking for a video conf.

hohohoho.

(edited: We don't do crime in here, behave or be gone. - foolish)

Last edited by foolish; 27th July 2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 25th July 2004, 01:14 AM
kosmosik Offline

I think the best way is to have two or more machines. on one you have Windows on other Linux and integrate them over LAN (VNC/X/nomachineNX/Samba etc.) you get like all-in-one, best from Linux world and best from Windows... I have nothing against Windows really. I use both when it is best tool to use Windows I use it, when it is Linux I use Linux... today for Linux you can get a chepao box and get it going, it costs like nothing exept your time...
Old 25th July 2004, 06:29 AM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

yap, put one nice KVM and u r set

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 25th July 2004, 07:18 AM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob0709
i even use windows only on vmware (cracked).
You are not going to get karma-points for using cracked software, but boasting about it is even worse. That is illegal and contributes to the perception that Linux users are nothing but a bunch of free-loading pirates. If you have any shred of decency, either pay for VMWare or remove it. Expediency is not a valid "reason" - that's an excuse.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 26th July 2004, 12:50 AM
xsos Offline

yeah i agree with you crackers
Old 26th July 2004, 01:44 PM
mohelgamal Offline

with todays big hard drives dual boot is usually the best way I didn't try vm ware but i konw it need a strong computer
my self i keep Winme as a standered system as i am not a computer pro i only need internet I try winxp and linux just as a hoppy and to find a partition which i can keep my files with out fear of being touched by the other ignorant users in the house
Old 26th July 2004, 02:43 PM
ezeze5000 Offline

I installed a removable hard drive bay in my PC, and put different OS's on each one.

Fedora
Winblows
Debian
Red Hat
K12
White Box
Etc......

The removable caddies make it a breeze.

Great when you have kids.

Last edited by ezeze5000; 26th July 2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26th July 2004, 10:41 PM
amazoneveryday Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbnerd
well since youre a newbie, i'd suggest keeping the dual boot until you are comefertable with the learning curve linux has. then, if you aren't dependent on windows-only apps you should make a clean break from mr gate's prison camp.
I made the clean break on May 18, 2004.
I looked back only once, just to make sure my wireless card was truly broke.

HP Pavilion a305w 2.2Celeron/256/40 "Walmart Box" Fedora Core 2
Ugly Generic Box 1.1Duron/256/80 "Lame Box" Fedora Core 2
dual USB iBook 500Mhz G3/256/25 "Duke" YDL
Old 7th August 2004, 10:04 AM
neton Offline

Before doing every thing to anything we must understand that thing. Your cat didn’t but the mouse did.

I have thousands of win server 3.51 >> 2003 and they work with no more then 1 stop / year. Linux also.
Old 8th August 2004, 01:45 AM
rkl Offline

Easy dual booting is actually the weakest point of FC2

I've always thought that the only significant weak point left in the Fedora Core (and Red Hat prior to that) anaconda installer was the disk partitioning. This is an area where it's easy to leave the end-user somewhat groping in the dark and I feel that every time I enter the manual part of Disk Druid.

For a start, 99% of PCs have one hard disk and a large chunk of those will have XP dominating the entire hard disk. Hence, the first step for Disk Druid should be to detect any Windows installation and offer options such as:

1. Wipe off windows completely (you can do this with a lot of tinkering inside Disk Druid) and put Linux *exactly* on top of where Windows was.

or

2. Re-partition the disk so that Windows and Linux co-exist (allow the user to choose a percentage or size-based split between the two). You usually have to had run a defrag on Windows before you do this.

I would like Disk Druid to exactly identify which OS version is on each partition (yes, that's Windows, Linux, Solaris etc. etc.) and put these in as labelled menu items in GRUB automatically.

Probably due to legal issues, FC doesn't ship with any NTFS support at all, so unless you either have Windows on FAT32 (unlikely nowadays) or scrabble around for an NTFS kernel module, you won't be able to see your Windows filestore anyway once you boot into FC2! This is a real downer for users who want to keep their Windows install for a while whilst they migrate over.

I think some of the other distros such as SuSE and Mandrake seem to be further ahead of the curve w.r.t. disk partitioning and accommodating Windows as a dual boot.
Old 8th August 2004, 11:24 PM
Ned Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl
Probably due to legal issues, FC doesn't ship with any NTFS support at all
I understand your point,

... but yes it does - it's just disabled by default within the kernel, same as firewire and half a dozen other features

But i'm sure you knew that - just misleading for newbies

Ned
Closed Thread