Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2008, 10:20 AM
GreyCat Offline

Lost and Found...

Hi

I started back in the days when DOS was the only way to communicate with my new "best friend", the PC. Way before the first "Windows" appeared on the scene. Even before the humble mouse was introduced to the list of "must-have's". Days and nights were spend learning this Disk Operating System and acquiring the knowledge that enabled me to actually "do" something with my PC.

Then Windows started to take over and all of a sudden this knowledge was no longer needed. or to a lesser degree. Nowadays very few newbies even know what DOS stood for. Windows came... And I LOST DOS.

This is now many, many years later and, working as a Graphic Designer, I've endured with Windows. Although still longing from time to time for those "Golden Days". Due to my work and certain restraints, I'll be stuck with Windows for a while longer.

And then I FOUND Linux, in the form of Fedora 8!

I'm babbling on and on here, and if I don't stop myself I will never get to the point.

I want to learn Linux. I've set up a separate PC (Celeron 2.6, 512 RAM, ATI 9200 GPU, etc.) and installed Fedora 8. At the moment I have a fairly stable system running, although I long to learn whatever I can. Or rather; as much as I can.

"Terminal" affords me the opportunity to take a nostalgic trip back to the days where I was actually able to tell my PC what to do, and this is a chance that I want to grab. (And somehow I'm actually looking forward to those long nights of learning, fighting and embracing the finer nuances of this newfound acquaintance...)

Please... Is there anybody that can send me in the proper direction?
Old 9th August 2008, 10:35 AM
oneofmany Offline

asking someone to send you in the proper direction is like asking how big air is. its kinda meaningless unless we have a context.

tell us what you're hoping to achieve and we can point you in the right direction.

if you're completely open to suggestions as to what to do with your new found linux freedom then I guess you could try configuring apache and mysql or postgresql and start doing some web development. that's one of the most common uses for linux these days

playing around with networking from the command line is also fun; or you could try some bash scripting to do little administrative tasks you sometimes do from the gui that are actually, probably available from the cli.

there's just soo much and it really depends what sort of things you like doing or want to achieve. linux is more a collection of the command, daemons and utilities that are supplied with the kernel and those are countless and can be developed by yourself.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:52 AM
adrianx Offline

Hi GreyCat,

This is a good tutorial IMO. It seems a bit dated, but much of the information is still relevant. Not that it matters, but the "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" was written by a fellow Safrican!

Edit: Maybe it wasn't originally written by Paul Sheer, but it says Copyright © 2002 Paul Sheer

Last edited by adrianx; 9th August 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 9th August 2008, 11:06 AM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

If you really want to "learn, fight and embrace the finer nuances" of the Linux CLI in the old "trial by fire" way, then try:
> a live upgrade to F9; start here.
> once (if) you get F9 up and running via a live upgrade, then run the following command, which should provide many hours of command-line amusement:
Code:
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
> Finally, if you're really masochistic, then simply try to install a video driver - any one will do, preferably one of the proprietary binary installer "blobs", it almost doesn't matter what hardware you have or whether the driver theoretically supports the chipset or not, the results should be about the same, and should provide you with many, many hours or even days at the command line, trying to get the drivers working. If you succeed, the residual mess should still provide CLI exercise for quite some time.

If those items don't leave you crying for a decent GUI, then I don't know what will.

Oh, and welcome to Fedora.

V
Old 9th August 2008, 12:55 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

The Rute book is a good one, as you've said. Also, although very dated, the Linux Documentation project has an older, unmaintained Installing and Getting Started guide at http://tldp.org/LDP/gs/gs.html which although not that relevant for installation, still has some nice introductions to the command line.

For shell scripting itself, I have a page (somehow, when I write that, I always think of Baldric saying, "I have a cunning plan,") that gives a few links to some shell scripting sites that I've found useful at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaiju...scripting.html. The Daniel Robbins pages mentioned there are quite good.

The FreeBSD handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/index.html has some good sections on Unix commands.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:20 PM
GreyCat Offline

Masochistic... Lol. Maybe I am, but it will still be a long way before I actually employ that suggestion of yours Hlinger. Thanks anyway. I've seen enough people in these forums just trying to get a certain video driver to work. But who knows..? Maybe I'll try that when I'm really bored.

Oneofmany, thanks. I am indeed open to suggestions and received quite a few thanks to you guys. My main aim is to learn this from scratch and see where the journey takes me. I'm not against the GUI. In fact, I'm a bit of a sucker for all the "bells & whistles". But I'm also quite fond of the CLI and the insight it gives you into the actual workings of the operating system.

Linux is giving me the opportunity to mass explore from scratch and I'm sure the search for knowledge will lead to interesting discoveries. That's it. That's more or less what I'm looking for.

Thanks adrianx. I'm glad to see that SA is not lagging in the Linux environment, as in so many other things.

And lastly. I absolutely fell in love with the support structure that's in place for Linux world-wide. It really makes me feel right at home. Nice to be amongst fellow enthusiasts. Thanks guys.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:37 PM
marcrblevins Offline

Using DOS was fun. But in the linux, the equiv would be bash.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
Old 9th August 2008, 11:28 PM
oneofmany Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins
Using DOS was fun. But in the linux, the equiv would be bash.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
or ksh, csh or any other host of shells. i use ksh quite a lot too and occasionally prefer to "set -o vi" to set the shell to vi mode
Old 9th August 2008, 11:48 PM
sidebrnz Offline

I know how you feel, because I'm an old-time CLI hacker myself. DOS was nice, I'll admit, especially after using CP/M. 64k for everything, including your BIOS and BDOS and, if you were lucky, two 5.25 DSDD floppy drives. Now, 256meg of RAM isn't really enough, and I'm planning to go to a Gig, because that's how much my motherboard can handle. sigh!

Seriously, if you want to have fun with a CLI, just find a book about bash programming and shell scripts and have at it. Good luck, HTH, HAND and all that jazz.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 10th August 2008, 08:58 AM
GreyCat Offline

Thanks guys. I really got shoved in the right direction here. It helps to have friends.

Just for interest sake. I wonder how many of the younger generation would actually be able to comprehend what we had as "prime systems" back in the 1980's...

My first "real" PC (not counting the Commodore) consisted of:

286AT, 64K RAM, 10 Mb HDD, 1 x 1.44 FDD, 1 x 720 FDD and a Mono VGA Monitor

And that was it. Input was limited to a keyboard until the mouse arrived a year or two later, and I later acquired a dotmatrix printer (Seikosha SP 2000). And believe it or not, this marvelous setup came with tons of bragging rights back in the days.

Thanks again guys. Nice to be here...

Tags
lost